Irish TV Programmes

(13-11-2023, 09:26 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  RTE Television only needs RTE One, RTE Two and RTE Jr - RTE News Channel is a waste of a channel, just simulcasting RTE One and Radio 1 news content, it can close.

+1 channels are almost not needed anymore - everyone streams, everyone can record, it really is only for a much older generation, but sadly it is an expensive concept

RTE Radio doesn't need digital channels, lose are a thing of the 2000s, when digital radio was new and fresh - concentrate on Radio 1, 2FM, Lyric, R na G and put new programming from the digital stations into those four stations where needed.
You're basically axing things there that cost little to nothing but do add some value, even if only slightly.    It's likely they're using space RTE is allocated anyway, so it's less value not to use that spectrum at all.

Ultimately if it comes down to what is "needed" you're cutting all PSB channels down to one part time channel which shows the odd bulletin and a bit of live sport - and even then you could argue that's covered elsewhere anyway.   PSBs aren't there to work on behalf of their rival broadcasters - they're there to provide content to the public, and that means a range of content accessible in a range of ways.

Well if that's the case it makes these cuts seem performative ie we must be seen to cut services so here's a bunch of services that will save barely anything but will look good in headlines .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gallunach's post:
  • benzj

Here’s the plan:

www.rte.ie 
[-] The following 3 users Like Rdd's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Superman1986

(14-11-2023, 09:52 AM)Rdd Wrote:  I’m not sure about that, there are two factors that would play against that.

Firstly, the Saorview rate card is designed to guarantee 2rn a minimum amount of income per multiplex, so that the transmission charges are calculated as a percentage of the cost of operating the multiplex. What this means is that less services increases the cost for the remaining services on the multiplex,

Secondly, with Saorview, RTE are ultimately paying themselves, as 2rn is a wholly owned subsidiary, and 2rn will have to continue to operate the multiplex concerned in any event.

The plan is due to be published in full today, though of course a chunk of its headline items have now leaked.

Saorview needs to open their channel spaces to more UK channels - Sky News and Challenge TV are already on there now, so closing down some RTE channels and make room for some UK channels will be good. I was surprised at reading Challenge was on there, not a channel I would have thought would be in the Saorview line up

(14-11-2023, 07:11 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Saorview needs to open their channel spaces to more UK channels - Sky News and Challenge TV are already on there now, so closing down some RTE channels and make room for some UK channels will be good. I was surprised at reading Challenge was on there, not a channel I would have thought would be in the Saorview line up

From page 23, I presume this includes UK channels.

Quote:We are working on developing a next generation service for Saorview to provide an expanded choice of free channels and on-demand content, combining Digital Terrestrial Television and broadband. The plan is to launch the service in 2025 subject to regulatory approvals, and the development of the new service. This will involve continued work with industry participants to roll-out the technology for this new service.

(14-11-2023, 07:11 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Saorview needs to open their channel spaces to more UK channels - Sky News and Challenge TV are already on there now, so closing down some RTE channels and make room for some UK channels will be good. I was surprised at reading Challenge was on there, not a channel I would have thought would be in the Saorview line up
It’s not a question of not being open to UK channels - whether that was ever even informally the case, it was shattered the minute Sky News went on. But channels need to want to go on, and the rate card makes it uneconomical to do so for many broadcasters. I suspect the only ones that are likely to be added in the medium term are Sky Arts and Sky Mix.

The big win would be the UK terrestrials - but the BBC won’t go on unless they are paid to do so (or at least it is cost neutral) and ITV and Channel 5 won’t go on for rights reasons. Channel 4 might but they would need the numbers to work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • benzj

(14-11-2023, 10:15 PM)Rdd Wrote:  It’s not a question of not being open to UK channels - whether that was ever even informally the case, it was shattered the minute Sky News went on. But channels need to want to go on, and the rate card makes it uneconomical to do so for many broadcasters. I suspect the only ones that are likely to be added in the medium term are Sky Arts and Sky Mix.

The big win would be the UK terrestrials - but the BBC won’t go on unless they are paid to do so (or at least it is cost neutral) and ITV and Channel 5 won’t go on for rights reasons. Channel 4 might but they would need the numbers to work.

Then why did Challenge get launched on there? Of all the UK channels to go on Saorview, a game show repeat channel owned by Sky was their option. 

Since Sky Ireland and Virgin Media Ireland, Eir, Vodafone TV all offer a selection of UK channels already, rights issues shouldn't be a problem surely?

Not for the most part, ITV and Channel 5 are special cases, C5 has never been on any ROI platform and doesn’t buy ROI rights; in ITV’s case the issue is their deal with VMTV.

Regarding Challenge, you say “was their option” as if they had a menu of UK channels to pick from and specially selected Challenge. That’s not the case - channels have to approach 2rn to go on Saorview, and pay the applicable tariff, and 2rn will take them provided they pay the fee and their house is in order. It’s a regulated platform, they have to play by the rules.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

Meanwhile, Tubridy lands on Virgin Radio UK to do mid-mornings (Q102 in Dublin will simulcast)

radiotoday.co.uk 

The DG of RTÉ; Kevin Bakhurst; has landed himself in some hot water after he misstated his own salary after he was interviewed by Sarah McInerney on Prime Time last Wednesday night.

He left out over €31k in pension entitlements to make his salary correct.

He said on Prime Time that as RTÉ DG; he earned a base salary of €250k plus a car allowance worth €25k and pension entitlements worth €31k. He then made a clarification to the media that his previously reported salary from the Prime Time interview was incorrect. His official salary as RTÉ DG actually amounts to €337,500.

www.irishexaminer.com 

Separately; RTÉ have released a TV ad campaign for their New Direction consultation document.

The website in where you take part in a survey from Behaviour & Attitudes is available at the link below.

www.rte.ie