Irish TV Programmes

(13-11-2023, 10:05 PM)Gallunach Wrote:  It doesn't need RTE Jr either then given that it's basically just a time shift of the programming that goes out on RTE Two .

Is the transmission cost  on Saorview  their rationale for closing the digital radio stations because retiring 5 or 6 hard drives doesn't seem like it would save much money

From what I've seen of RTE it is a case of overkill. A stripped back network concentrating on the core programming would be more viable

Wouldn't his salary details be public anyway like the BBCs are?

RTÉ have announced €10 million of savings for 2024. The headline is that soap opera Fair City will be reduced to three epsiodes a week. Some other commissions will no longer be made in-house, whilst a few other productions pushed back or delayed.

www.rte.ie 

Main thing from a British perspective there is deferring the next series of Young Offenders to 2025 - will that delay it on the BBC too?

Can they at least make this mess worth it by axing Mrs Brown's Boys too?

(30-11-2023, 05:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Main thing from a British perspective there is deferring the next series of Young Offenders to 2025 - will that delay it on the BBC too?

Can they at least make this mess worth it by axing Mrs Brown's Boys too?

RTE do not make Mrs Brown's morons - that is a BBC Studios production along with Brendan's own production company. 

Young Offenders will probably not be delayed by the BBC - just because RTE have chosen to delay, doesn't mean the BBC has to follow.

No they don’t have to, the example often cited is the infamous (in more ways than one) missing child drama Amber, which didn’t air on RTE until three years after it was made but got overseas airings in the interim.

No RTE doesn’t make Mrs Browns Boys, it’s not even made in Ireland (but Glasgow) even though it’s set in Ireland with an almost entirely Irish cast (would it not have been cheaper to record it in Dublin than to fly everyone over?). RTE does get a credit on it though, I’m not sure what for - they may have some sort of creative stake in it arising from the early sketches on 2FM back in the 1990s.

(01-12-2023, 03:03 PM)Rdd Wrote:  No they don’t have to, the example often cited is the infamous (in more ways than one) missing child drama Amber, which didn’t air on RTE until three years after it was made but got overseas airings in the interim.

No RTE doesn’t make Mrs Browns Boys, it’s not even made in Ireland (but Glasgow) even though it’s set in Ireland with an almost entirely Irish cast (would it not have been cheaper to record it in Dublin than to fly everyone over?). RTE does get a credit on it though, I’m not sure what for - they may have some sort of creative stake in it arising from the early sketches on 2FM back in the 1990s.

It was a deal agreed with Brendan who wanted Scotland to have it, as Scotland was always a very dedicated fan base for the show, so having it produced in BBC Pacific Quay studios was designed to bring a network show to BBC Scotland for production and not use Salford or London.

I heard recently that the new series of The Tommy Tiernan Show is coming back on RTÉ's screens in January. This development makes it very likely that Angela Scanlon's Ask Me Anything could be the other In-house Saturday night chat show that would not be aired on RTÉ in 2024.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • Superman1986

It wouldn’t be a loss tbh, the “Ask Me Anything” gimmick came into play for about five minutes each show otherwise it was a fairly bog standard chat show - could easily have been called “The Angela Scanlon Show”.

RTE Christmas schedules are out and it’s a particularly bare year - barely any home produced programmes (once you remember once again about Mrs Brown being Scottish!) in the schedule for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day bar Fair City. RTE concentrating quite heavily on Hollywood films, even more than usual at Christmas. St Stephen’s (Boxing) Day is a bit better, but only because of the sport, and RTE are actually making an effort on New Years for once with a Late Late Show special.