BREAKING NEWS

Patrick Kielty will be the new host of The Late Late Show

www.rte.ie 
[-] The following 4 users Like Teilifís's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, RhysJR, Roger Darthwell

(20-05-2023, 12:03 PM)Teilifís Wrote:  BREAKING NEWS

www.rte.ie 
So he is leaving BBC Radio 5 Live as a consequence? No, but seriously congratulations to him!
[-] The following 2 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990

www.rte.ie 

A good choice. I think he’ll do well but the show also needs to be rejigged and shortened. More entertaining guests needed and fewer depressing ones. I wonder will he, Cat Deeley and his family move back to Ireland? I presume he will be giving up his Saturday morning show on BBC Radio Five Live as well.
[-] The following 4 users Like AJB39's post:
  • bkman1990, ethanjbrady, JMT1985, Roger Darthwell

The Late Late Show should be shortened to 90 minutes, and with an emphasis on getting some decent stars to appear on the show - rumours were going around during the final years of Tubridy's tenure that his production team were getting their guests from whoever was visiting RTE at the time, especially in their canteen.

Interesting that during the key stages of the pandemic, the show did attract bigger names, who were of course interviewed via Zoom video conferencing, but they managed to pull in big stars - as soon as restrictions were lifted and a live studio audience returned, it was back to the dire mix of guests and heavy depressing stories which were a complete turn off for viewers who want to be entertained on a Friday night.

RTE seems to live in the past - they think the show should remain the same as it has always been - especially with the long drawn out interviews with substandard guests. RTE forget, Irish viewers have complete access to the UK channels and international channels, as well as streaming. That era of The Late Late Show is dead and buried, except RTE feel they can reanimate it's corpse every Friday night.

Hopefully Paddy will give the show a huge kick up the arse it needs, and stop being complacent. As one Irish media critic said about the show, it continues to rely on the older generation of viewers, those viewers are are dying off every year, but RTE still panders to them and not to the under 50s.
[-] The following 3 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, CartyMarlin

The worst kept secret in Irish television really.

The runtime really does need to be looked at, as I said previously they are struggling to fill it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rdd's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, DE88

Now that it has a host known to UK audiences, I wonder if a UK broadcaster will pick it up?

(20-05-2023, 12:14 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  

www.rte.ie 
So he is leaving BBC Radio 5 Live as a consequence? No, but seriously congratulations to him!
No, he's staying.
www.bbc.co.uk 

Quote:Kielty will continue to host his own Saturday radio programme on BBC Radio 5Live while presenting the Late Late.
[-] The following 3 users Like JAS84's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Roger Darthwell

(20-05-2023, 03:00 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(20-05-2023, 12:14 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  So he is leaving BBC Radio 5 Live as a consequence? No, but seriously congratulations to him!
No, he's staying.
www.bbc.co.uk 
Quote:Kielty will continue to host his own Saturday radio programme on BBC Radio 5Live while presenting the Late Late.

Now that is surprising to me!
[-] The following 3 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, ethanjbrady

(20-05-2023, 03:00 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(20-05-2023, 12:14 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  So he is leaving BBC Radio 5 Live as a consequence? No, but seriously congratulations to him!
No, he's staying.
www.bbc.co.uk 
Very interesting that he’s going to try an juggle both shows. I wonder how he’ll do that with the Late Late Show been on Friday night in Ireland and his radio show been in the UK on Saturday morning. I wonder will he pre-record one or the other?

That’s a great choice and should be less bland than Ryan. I thought Angela Scanlon would have been an obvious good choice too. You’d imagine it would help to improve overseas guests, I’m sure Cat Deeley is already booked.

I doubt it’ll get picked up by British broadcaster though, if a British broadcaster wanted him to present a chat show he’d still be doing his own chat show here.

In terms of getting international audiences the best shot is going after a YouTube audience. Like an Irish version of that former Scandinavian chat show Skavlan. I guess they could also do the odd show from the US or UK too like that show, although not sure how well that especially the latter would fly in Ireland.

(20-05-2023, 03:15 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  
(20-05-2023, 03:00 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  No, he's staying.
www.bbc.co.uk 
Very interesting that he’s going to try a juggle both shows. I wonder how he’ll do that with the Late Late Show been on Friday night in Ireland and his radio show been in the UK on Saturday morning. I wonder will he pre-record one or the other.
If he’s remaining UK based, he’ll need to fly out anyway although don’t know how late/early flights to the Salford or London are or he could do the show from Belfast or Dublin. I can’t see it being an issue either way.