Irish TV Programmes

(20-05-2023, 03:15 PM)Jon Wrote:  That’s a great choice and should be less bland than Ryan. I thought Angela Scanlon would have been an obvious good choice too. You’d imagine it would help to improve overseas guests, I’m sure Cat Deeley is already booked.

I doubt it’ll get picked up by British broadcaster though, if a British broadcaster wanted him to present a chat show he’d still be doing his own chat show here.

In terms of getting international audiences the best shot is going after a YouTube audience. Like an Irish version of that former Scandinavian chat show Skavlan. I guess they could also do the odd show from the US or UK too like that show, although not sure how well that especially the latter would fly in Ireland.

(20-05-2023, 03:15 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  Very interesting that he’s going to try a juggle both shows. I wonder how he’ll do that with the Late Late Show been on Friday night in Ireland and his radio show been in the UK on Saturday morning. I wonder will he pre-record one or the other.
If he’s remaining UK based, he’ll need to fly out anyway although don’t know how late/early flights to the Salford or London are or he could do the show from Belfast or Dublin. I can’t see it being an issue either way.

It isn't out of the realm for RTE shows to come from Wogan House or BBC shows from Montrose. Wouldn't be surprised if every so often, 5 Live came from Dublin.

Tubridy used to present a few of his Radio 2 cover shows from RTE, and the likes of Carl Mullen on 2fm Breakfast has co-presented from the BBC.

I'd say he'll record his 5 Live show ahead of Saturday morning since the Late Late is a live show - will be interesting to see what will happen if he remains UK-based.

Congrats to Patrick for getting the gig - I look forward to seeing him on my TV every Friday from September!
[-] The following 3 users Like TVenthusiasm's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Roger Darthwell

Channel 4 did show it in the 1980s and 1990s, in a compressed format at teatime. Different era of course.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • DE88, JMT1985

Patrick has the possibility of reaching an agreement between BBC Radio and RTE Radio, to produce his Saturday 5 Live show from the RTE Radio Centre in Dublin which is right next to the RTE Television Centre, which is possible, as RTE and the BBC have a good relationship together.

Other option for Patrick, is to produce his Saturday show from BBC Broadcasting House in Belfast, plenty of radio studios there for him to host his show on the BBC network and a shorter trip to Belfast from Dublin for him.

(20-05-2023, 04:28 PM)Rdd Wrote:  Channel 4 did show it in the 1980s and 1990s, in a compressed format at teatime. Different era of course.

Channel 4 did indeed air it, but in a condensed edited version - they managed to squeeze the 2 hour marathon into a 52 minute edited version for UK audiences from 1984 until 1996. Apparently the Channel 4 management who came to see an edition in 1984 were shocked that it went out for 2 hours, and all of it was LIVE! 

Originally it was placed in the 2.30pm slot, later moved to 3pm and then finally to the 5pm slot by the end of the 80s, where it reasonably well in the ratings. 

The 5pm slot is the one I remember, that is how I was first introduced to The Late Late Show. 

However come 1994 the show was moved back, as Channel 4 changed management, and there was a new feel to Channel 4, which wanted the US talk shows, and so come 1996 Gay Byrne was axed - the warning signs were there come 1995, with Channel 4 bouncing the show around the schedules, sometimes on a Saturday morning, or late Saturday evening.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • Rdd, Roger Darthwell

(20-05-2023, 03:40 PM)TVenthusiasm Wrote:  I'd say he'll record his 5 Live show ahead of Saturday morning since the Late Late is a live show - will be interesting to see what will happen if he remains UK-based.
I can’t see him recording his programme, I’ve never heard it but being such a primetime show on a Saturday I’m sure it’ll need to be somewhat reactive being broadcast at that time and they’d need to record at the latest on Thursday if he’s going to be in Dublin on Fridays. 

I think he’ll just do it live from Belfast or Dublin, I think Belfast is more likely as it’s more than a one off and it’s not like it’s far. It’ll be something they can point out as coming from the nations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • AJB39

Patrick's 5 Live show currently aired from 9am to 11am on Saturdays - so this will be a tiring process for him if on a Friday he hosts The Late Late Show live, and then only a few hours of sleep, he has to do his Saturday morning radio show.

This leads me to think, that for the first time ever, The Late Late Show could be recorded and not air live. Maybe this is one of the new contract stipulation set down by Patrick if he agreed to host the show - remember RTE need Patrick, more than Patrick needs RTE

Patrick is the man in control here, and maybe he will do what Graham Norton does - record his Friday night talk show on a Thursday, giving him a rest on Friday and time to prepare for his Saturday morning radio show.

(20-05-2023, 09:20 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Patrick's 5 Live show currently aired from 9am to 11am on Saturdays - so this will be a tiring process for him if on a Friday he hosts The Late Late Show live, and then only a few hours of sleep, he has to do his Saturday morning radio show.

This leads me to think, that for the first time ever, The Late Late Show could be recorded and not air live. Maybe this is one of the new contract stipulation set down by Patrick if he agreed to host the show - remember RTE need Patrick, more than Patrick needs RTE

Patrick is the man in control here, and maybe he will do what Graham Norton does - record his Friday night talk show on a Thursday, giving him a rest on Friday and time to prepare for his Saturday morning radio show.

I can see your logic but I hope that doesn’t happen because while the Late Late Show certainly needs to be reformed it does still work best live. There’s an electricity to a live show that I believe you simply can’t replicate when it’s recorded.

(20-05-2023, 09:32 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  
(20-05-2023, 09:20 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Patrick's 5 Live show currently aired from 9am to 11am on Saturdays - so this will be a tiring process for him if on a Friday he hosts The Late Late Show live, and then only a few hours of sleep, he has to do his Saturday morning radio show.

I can see your logic but I hope that doesn’t happen because while the Late Late Show certainly needs to be reformed it does still work best live. There’s an electricity to a live show that I believe you simply can’t replicate when it’s recorded.

Well unless Patrick is willing to have to do a two hour live show on a Friday, ending before midnight, and then getting less than say 5 or 6 hours sleep before getting up to do his radio show the next day, I feel my logic is what will happen. 

Patrick is paid a nice handsome salary for his weekly BBC show, a salary which is currently under the £150,000 a year mark, as Patrick's salary is not published each year, as the BBC has to reveal star salaries over £150,000 from the licence fee - so I have heard he is on a £100,000 a year deal with the BBC - nice salary for 40 Saturdays work a year, 2 hours a week.

(20-05-2023, 09:39 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(20-05-2023, 09:32 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  I can see your logic but I hope that doesn’t happen because while the Late Late Show certainly needs to be reformed it does still work best live. There’s an electricity to a live show that I believe you simply can’t replicate when it’s recorded.

Well unless Patrick is willing to have to do a two hour live show on a Friday, ending before midnight, and then getting less than say 5 or 6 hours sleep before getting up to do his radio show the next day, I feel my logic is what will happen. 

Patrick is paid a nice handsome salary for his weekly BBC show, a salary which is currently under the £150,000 a year mark, as Patrick's salary is not published each year, as the BBC has to reveal star salaries over £150,000 from the licence fee - so I have heard he is on a £100,000 a year deal with the BBC - nice salary for 40 Saturdays work a year, 2 hours a week.

He's not some old fella that needs days to recover. A few people I know have done live broadcasts on a regular basis till 1am in the morning and then been back up to do a Breakfast show 6 hours later. It's tiring yes, but it's only one night a week. I would think Millions across the UK and Ireland have worked late and then gone back into work 8 hours later for far less than Patrick will be getting at far harder jobs. He is likely to be RTE's highest earner on 400,000 or more. Money talks so if one show was to be recorded it would be the BBC show.

However, The most likely outcome is that he continues to do the show on BBC Radio 5 live from Dublin or maybe Belfast. Graham Norton has done his show on Virgin from the Local Station in Bandon, Cork (C103) on loads of occasions. It's not a new practice either, Both Terry Wogan and Gay Byrne did shows for the BBC Light, and BBC Radio One and Two Live from Dublin in the 60's.

The great thing about Radio (Or it was until Studio Cameras popped up) was that you could arrive in looking terrible but as long as you sounded normal you were fine. Plus if you don't tell listeners where you're broadcasting from, they'll just assume you're at the normal studio.

As for the Late Late not being live, if it's recorded it's nothing different to any other chat show. I would assume they'll shorten it slightly but probably keep it running for 90-100 minutes so that roughly the same amount can be made from advertising.

I'd assume advertising was the reason Ryan quit/was asked to move on. Ratings are way down over the last twelve months, and that has to be turned around sharpish.

This is an interesting article - RTE hiding extra salary payments to their biggest earner Ryan Tubridy and it is only just come out now, a month after he concluded his time as The Late Late Show host?

I wonder if Ryan knew this was going to be exposed, and so quit before the PR mess that was to follow - as the Irish hate RTE big salary earners more than the British do with BBC high earners.

RTE has very little commercial arms to hid big salaries to their top presenters, whereas the BBC of course has BBC Studios to hid whopping salaries to BBC stars.

www.rte.ie