Irish TV Programmes

Couple of articles say Patrick will present his 5Live show from BBC's Northern Ireland studios because of his commitments. One article suggest that the BBC and RTE have 'reached an agreement' so Patrick could do both shows. RTE studio could also be used for emergencies. The start time of the late late show could also change to help Patrick out.

evoke.ie 

www.irishnews.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes CATV's post:
  • RhysJR

There was other news reported by the Irish Independent earlier this week that The Secretary General in Ireland's Dept of Health, Robert Watt, had stopped sponsorship funding for RTÉ's Operation Transformation last year while it was funded under the Healthy Ireland initiative.

The halting of the funding for this show was seen in documents provided under requests from The Freedom of Information Act. The sponsorship revenue was worth €283k per year for the programme.

He gave an email to a principal officer in the health department in December 2021 saying that ''This is the last year''.

The Principal officer than responded “Thanks for this, noted re: the heavy heart! I am more than happy for a full review and consideration next year to evaluate appropriateness of any future involvement and long before any discussion with programme producers.”

www.independent.ie 

(30-06-2023, 02:38 AM)CATV Wrote:  Couple of articles say Patrick will present his 5Live show from BBC's Northern Ireland studios because of his commitments.  One article suggest that the BBC and RTE have 'reached an agreement' so Patrick could do both shows.  RTE studio could also be used for emergencies. The start time of the late late show could also change to help Patrick out.

evoke.ie 

www.irishnews.com 
I mean doing his show from BBC Northern Ireland in Belfast makes sense, this would probably make it less Salford-centric, but how would he fare using train travel to Dublin (to cut his carbon footprint from travelling from Belfast) for his RTE late night show, particularly as his predecessor is in the headlines?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamieMurph25's post:
  • Gary Baldy

I imagine he's worked this all out. Nowadays he could do the show from a hotel room so not as much of a logistical challenge as a decade or two ago.

I wonder, does Stephen Nolan fly over to Salford to do his BBC Radio 5 Live shows, or does he remain in Belfast?

It would be cheaper for him to use the studios at BBC Broadcasting House in Belfast, than fly over to Salford just for a few days a week.

Paddy using the BBC Belfast studios is doing the right thing.

(30-06-2023, 08:24 PM)JamieMurph25 Wrote:  I mean doing his show from BBC Northern Ireland in Belfast makes sense, this would probably make it less Salford-centric, but how would he fare using train travel to Dublin (to cut his carbon footprint from travelling from Belfast) for his RTE late night show, particularly as his predecessor is in the headlines?

His carbon footprint? A trip from Belfast to Dublin is literally a blink and you’ll miss it flight- it’s that quick.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary Baldy's post:
  • thomash79

RTÉ News has reported that Rory Coveney has resigned as RTÉ Director of Strategy. An RTÉ spokesperson has confirmed that he has left the broadcaster with immediate effect.

He said in a statement that he met the new DG Kevin Bakhurst and Coveney told him that believed the tough job ahead of him would be made somewhat easier if Bakhurst had a fresh lead team. He tendered his resignation immediately to give Kevin Bakhurst the space to do that.

Statement from new DG Kevin Backhurst to staff this morning.

www.rte.ie 

The RTE Executive is being replaced by an “interim management team” though it’s not clear anyone besides Coveney has actually left RTE.

Unfortunately this controversy has hardly been off the front pages in almost three weeks, and the drip feed of new revelations (including the Marty Morrissey/Renault story late last week) hasn’t helped,
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

Whilst replacing the entire board might go down well with the vultures it raises questions of governance for me and who is exactly being put into their positions without the usual processes being followed.

…but it is only interim and it may not in law be replacing the board …
Full governance will return when the new board is appointed (one expects)