Irish TV Programmes

That probably suits the BBC to boost the out-of-England network content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • AJB39

(23-09-2023, 07:28 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  That probably suits the BBC to boost the out-of-England network content.

BBC already has a special studio in London for shows to air on 5 Live - considering every BBC local radio station is connected to the BBC network, I am surprised they haven't bothered to use them to provide content to network BBC Radio - BBC Radio Wales studio is used for the early weekday breakfast show on Radio 2 as an example

(22-09-2023, 09:59 PM)TVenthusiasm Wrote:  Yeah me too - I laughed really hard at the monolohue and all the jabs at RTE!! What a shame he introduced his guests straight away!

Also, the introduction by Gay Byrne was trimmed:

up.metropol247.co.uk 

I didn’t see last week, but I saw last night - and yeah, it’s almost as if after the first show, the producers were handed a reel of old Tubridy shows and told, “that was grand, but next time make it more like what the last guy did”. Monologue dropped and the return of the infamous misery slot that plagued Tubridy’s last few years in the role.

There didn’t seem to be any live music last night either, apart from the house band into and out of breaks.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • JMT1985, UTVLifer

There was a live music act called Moncrieff on the Late Late Show. He was performing his new song with a gospel choir last night.

Do Irish ratings get reported - how is he doing in comparison?

Week 1 - 934,000 TV + streaming combined (62% share of audience)
Week 2 - 548,000 TV + streaming combined (51% share of audience)
Week 3 - Last night, so nothing has been released yet

Still a lot higher than Tubridy's episodes earlier this year, which were around 3/400,000 on average.
[-] The following 3 users Like rick's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, Happy2001

That is a big drop after week one - Patrick lost 396,000 viewers in the space of one week - the novelty has worn off, and since Patrick has been neutered by RTE, with his monologue gone, and the punch and pace he had with his first edition now poured down the rain - the same boring show is back just with hint of a new look and a reduced time slot.

RTE - no wonder they are in the crapper, they have no idea how to produce television anymore. People moan about the BBC - if us Brits had to have an RTE version of the BBC, there would be even more uproar.

An artificially high 1st episode viewership with a significant drop between episode 1 and 2 was inevitable though; there's probably still a 'curiosity' factor affecting the ratings of the show. I'll be more interested in what episodes are getting in 3-4 weeks than what they get now.

FWIW I watched last night and found it an enjoyable show; there was a nice pace and energy to it. I thought with Patrick handled the more 'controversial' statements by guests with a swiftness, wit and humour that suggests the show's in good hands. I'll tune in again.
[-] The following 2 users Like PJamo's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie

(30-09-2023, 04:27 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  That is a big drop after week one - Patrick lost 396,000 viewers in the space of one week - the novelty has worn off, and since Patrick has been neutered by RTE, with his monologue gone, and the punch and pace he had with his first edition now poured down the rain - the same boring show is back just with hint of a new look and a reduced time slot.

RTE - no wonder they are in the crapper, they have no idea how to produce television anymore. People moan about the BBC - if us Brits had to have an RTE version of the BBC, there would be even more uproar.

It's to be expected, the first week was basically people tuning in to see what the fuss was about. I'd assume they'd be happy enough if the average was around the 450,000 mark. Tubridy's version had fallen off a cliff at some point over the last 12 months as he was down by more than a third year on year, and about half the audience he had in 2019. (2020-2021 can't be counted as it was a captive audience much of the time) Viewership of RTE outside of Sport and News is way down, but the Late Late was one of the biggest losers.

The reduced time slot was practically there anyway. Tubridy used to close the show up just after 11 a lot last season.

It may not be very good but it still gets a large audience and brings in the cash, that's what they really care about in RTE.

I think it was shortened because they're no point going on much past 11. Every Tom, Dick and Mary is turning over to Graham Norton as soon as he comes on. The Audience must plummet as soon as 10.35 comes around. People complain about The Blame Game pushing Graham Norton back to 11.10 which happens a fair amount on BBC 1 Northern Ireland. 

A lot of people in RTE and the independent sector know how to make good TV, but they're not given the opportunity. The whole organisation needs changing. The Late Late is the least of it's problems... for the moment.

(30-09-2023, 05:35 PM)chinamug Wrote:  It's to be expected, the first week was basically people tuning in to see what the fuss was about. I'd assume they'd be happy enough if the average was around the 450,000 mark. Tubridy's version had fallen off a cliff at some point over the last 12 months as he was down by more than a third year on year, and about half the audience he had in 2019. (2020-2021 can't be counted as it was a captive audience much of the time) Viewership of RTE outside of Sport and News is way down, but the Late Late was one of the biggest losers.

The reduced time slot was practically there anyway. Tubridy used to close the show up just after 11 a lot last season.

It may not be very good but it still gets a large audience and brings in the cash, that's what they really care about in RTE.

I think it was shortened because they're no point going on much past 11. Every Tom, Dick and Mary is turning over to Graham Norton as soon as he comes on. The Audience must plummet as soon as 10.35 comes around. People complain about The Blame Game pushing Graham Norton back to 11.10 which happens a fair amount on BBC 1 Northern Ireland. 

A lot of people in RTE and the independent sector know how to make good TV, but they're not given the opportunity. The whole organisation needs changing. The Late Late is the least of it's problems... for the moment.

BBC One have pushed Graham now to 10.40pm and I can see now he is suffering a bit in the ratings - also Graham's new series seems to have abandoned his opening monologue which I used to enjoy - he simply heads straight into introducing the guests. 

Graham's show is really one of only two talk shows left on British television, the other being Jonathan Ross, who is taking a break from producing an autumn series due to the rugby and will be back in the new year, his show suffers badly from poor guests, using recycled ITV stars and anyone who is managed by the same management "Off the Kerb" company.