BBC Internationally

With PBS, particularly these affiliates, they're still using some fairly ancient VT copies. The BBC mandated the reference to BBC America around launch as a surrogate promotion, and have just never changed them out. I presume this isn't policy now, but no-one is minded to change it
[-] The following 1 user Likes agemame's post:
  • Ma76

Yeah, PBS don't want to pay for new masters. Understandable considering they're publicly funded.

Not long come off a cruise this week and found a strange channel called BBC Maritime HD.

It used presentation of the old UK BBC HD channel, with promos stating "On Board, On TV, On BBC HD".

It even looks to have its own website here: www.bbchdmaritime.com 

There were no commercials and was showing even the latest episodes of EastEnders from the current week.

Seems strange to continue with the HD moniker, especially given that the TV's in the cabins on the ship I travelled on were old 720p TV's at best.
[-] The following 8 users Like RDJ's post:
  • Frances, harshy, Ma76, paul_hadley, Quantum+83, RhysJR, Roger Darthwell, TVFan

Quite amusing that BBC Earth and all the other BBC channels in Asia are still using the old logo. I wonder when will they get the Chameleon treatment?
[-] The following 2 users Like bakamann's post:
  • Ma76, Quantum+83

(27-04-2023, 05:55 PM)RDJ Wrote:  Not long come off a cruise this week and found a strange channel called BBC Maritime HD.

It used presentation of the old UK BBC HD channel, with promos stating "On Board, On TV, On BBC HD".

There were no commercials and was showing even the latest episodes of EastEnders from the current week.

Seems strange to continue with the HD moniker, especially given that the TV's in the cabins on the ship I travelled on were old 720p TV's at best.
Which idents did it use?

Slightly off-tangent: I was watching my Blu-ray of Psychoville Series 1 (great series btw) and noticed the 2006 BBC HD 'sting' was used as the BBC ident on that disc. Interesting (but welcome!) choice.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Ma76, Quantum+83

That is interesting I wonder if it’s using an MTN style setup where it can be obtained by satellite.

EDIT: Indeed it is with the other MTN channels encrypted in powervu at 4.8e

(27-04-2023, 06:44 PM)bakamann Wrote:  Quite amusing that BBC Earth and all the other BBC channels in Asia are still using the old logo. I wonder when will they get the Chameleon treatment?

That’s been the strange thing about chameleon overseas is normally they would be the first ones to take up a new look but it hasn’t materialised this time. On my own satellite setup the only chameleon channels received is bbc news and bbc Nordic.
[-] The following 4 users Like harshy's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Ma76, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

(27-04-2023, 06:55 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(27-04-2023, 05:55 PM)RDJ Wrote:  Not long come off a cruise this week and found a strange channel called BBC Maritime HD.

Which idents did it use?

Slightly off-tangent: I was watching my Blu-ray of Psychoville Series 1 (great series btw) and noticed the 2006 BBC HD 'sting' was used as the BBC ident on that disc. Interesting (but welcome!) choice.

Yes, I know at least one of the Torchwood Blu-rays does this. I think it's because, at that time, DVD releases were still using the 'ribbons' ident on the disc. Obviously this was made in SD, so probably wasn't seen as suitable for use on Blu-ray. The BBC HD sting was quite likely all they had! Eventually (circa late 2009, IIRC) BBC Worldwide (as it was then) had a visual refresh and we started getting the 'purple box' ident.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 4 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • Happy2001, Kojak, Ma76, Quantum+83

Planet Earth’s Blu-ray release has the BBC HD ident on all of the discs. Still looks good today, although the HD novelty has long worn off. They’d definitely stopped using this by around 2009 if other BBC Blu-ray’s are anything to go by.
[-] The following 3 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Kojak, Ma76

(28-04-2023, 09:19 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Planet Earth’s Blu-ray release has the BBC HD ident on all of the discs. Still looks good today, although the HD novelty has long worn off. They’d definitely stopped using this by around 2009 if other BBC Blu-ray’s are anything to go by.
I have the 2010 reissue of Planet Earth and it has the BBC Earth ident instead (which I think was very new at the time).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • Ma76

The Blu-rays must be due a new ident shortly - last I saw, they were still using the Gill Sans logo.