BBC Website

(15-06-2023, 12:34 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Well if we're going down that route...

A while ago I found this 60 Seconds site that was last updated a week after September 11. It's still online: news.bbc.co.uk 

Annoyingly, there used to be an even earlier site than the Politics '97 one still online, I believe it was from the Budget from 1995? But for some reason they took that one offline.

It is kind of on the Internet Archive. (Most of it doesn't work as it is linked to the Press Association site)

web.archive.org 

Sadly one of the links that doesn't work is this, which would be something worth doing these days IMO.
BBC Budget 1995 Wrote:To help people see the possible results on budgets closer to home, we've examined how they might affect some well-known fictitious families; from the BBC programmes EastEnders, 2Point4 Children and Waiting for God.
[-] The following 2 users Like TIGHazard's post:
  • Ma76, thePineapple

(15-06-2023, 11:47 AM)thegeek Wrote:  You think that's old...

www.bbc.co.uk 

Almost makes one want to fire up a really old computer with an equally old web browser . . .

[Image: BBC-Politics97-Netscape-Mac.png]

Yes, web browsers actually used to look like that!

DISCLAIMER:
I actually do not own any ancient Apple Macintosh computers running equally ancient versions of Netscape Navigator!

Web browsers used to be purely text based affairs. Images were added later.
Lynx is the best known and oldest example of a text web browser, though there are (were?) other examples.

And that webpage probably took ages to load on a 28k connection.

(06-07-2023, 02:39 PM)James2001 Wrote:  And that webpage probably took ages to load on a 28k connection.

Indeed ... and as that screenshot shows, some images will fail to load over dog slow dial-up connections before the browser says "Document Done".

Bitesize has gotten a refreshed homepage:
www.bbc.co.uk 

Not sure where best to put this, but I noticed the BBC News app has withdrawn the new, side-scrolling layout which was being tested, shown here:

www.bbc.co.uk 

I'd been using the beta version on Android, but it's now gone back to something much closer to the original layout:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 3 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, thePineapple

Shame about the ugly red bar along the top.

(07-07-2023, 11:21 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Not sure where best to put this, but I noticed the BBC News app has withdrawn the new, side-scrolling layout which was being tested, shown here:

www.bbc.co.uk 

I'd been using the beta version on Android, but it's now gone back to something much closer to the original layout:

I've just updated mine (not on Beta to be clear but full on final build). I've just gone from something like what is mentioned in that article you link to to an halfway house between that and the old scheme pre-2021. Frankly, it looks a tad bit better with the Amazon Fire tablet (adjusted to use Android apps on) I use it on to be honest with it now being in full screen proper but maintaining what had been mentioned in the article with the carousels and all that.

[Image: BBCNewsAppScreenshot.png]

And they've got rid of the widget on Android, which is incredibly frustrating as it was for me the most useful part of the app.