BBC Website

I think all REACH papers have the same article , just change the title!
Notice it does not mention that the BBC funds 165 journalists for “print” media
www.bbc.com 

But the usual rant about the BBC in the online space ….
It’s being going on for almost 20 years at least ….
And not mentioning that the current BBC “local digital” is a request/expectation by OFCOM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • Ma76

(05-12-2023, 09:02 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Notice it does not mention that the BBC funds 165 journalists for “print” media

If the BBC is funding things beyond broadcasting and content that don't relate to its core activities, no wonder people don't think they are getting value for money from the licence fee.

(05-12-2023, 09:27 PM)cable Wrote:  If the BBC is funding things beyond broadcasting and content that don't relate to its core activities, no wonder people don't think they are getting value for money from the licence fee.

Surely information about local politics is very much content?

And besides, it's not exactly a choice:
Quote:The journalists are funded by the BBC as part of its latest Charter commitment, but are employed by regional news organisations.

(05-12-2023, 09:48 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  Surely information about local politics is very much content?

And besides, it's not exactly a choice:
content yes but It somewhat distorts the market.

With the agreement of the print industry …
See this report
downloads.bbc.co.uk 
Note which organisation had most LDRS reporters!

I imagine it’s a non service activity see sect 16 of the Agreement
downloads.bbc.co.uk 

there does seem to be a thing of giving with one hand and taking with the other.

www.expressandstar.com 

www.walesonline.co.uk 

(05-12-2023, 08:56 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  My local paper has an article complaining about the BBC trying to put them out of business.
www.hulldailymail.co.uk 
Similarly from my local, which is now Newsquest. Presumably stands for the quest to cut back on local journalism, and turn a once quality local news website into mostly clickbait. Ref  www.huntspost.co.uk 

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(05-12-2023, 09:27 PM)cable Wrote:  If the BBC is funding things beyond broadcasting and content that don't relate to its core activities, no wonder people don't think they are getting value for money from the licence fee.

It wasn't the BBC's choice to prop up these papers though with "Local Democracy Reporters", who report on far more than local democracy from what I've seen.

(05-12-2023, 10:15 PM)Keith Wrote:  Similarly from my local, which is now Newsquest. Presumably stands for the quest to cut back on local journalism, and turn a once quality local news website into mostly clickbait. Ref  www.huntspost.co.uk 
The end of that article is revealing. Hull Live's was only credited to Hull Daily Mail, the name of the print paper. But this one lists six names at the end - it's jointly written by people from six organisations: Newsquest, Iliffe Media, National World, News Media Association Independent Publishers Forum, Reach Regionals, and Midland News Association. It seems Reach aren't being transparent here.

Unfortunately, they do actually seem to have a point. Hull Live, and I assume all Reach apps, just started charging you a few weeks ago if you read more than 10 articles a week. Which is dumb when the website is still free (they probably should paywall it). Reach's regional papers must be struggling financially if they're resorting to such measures. And as they mention in this article, it's because other sources provide the news for free, such as the BBC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Ma76

The biggest issue with many local newspaper sites is the ads literally make them unreadable. It's not so much their ad free rivals which lower their readership bit their own greed - prioritising being able to view ads over content. Ads are a necessary evil but if they make a website unusable people will either ad block or go elsewhere.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, James, JamieD, London Lite, Ma76, Toby brown