Dermot Murnaghan to leave Sky News

Just announced via the Press Gazette that Dermot Murnaghan is to leaving Sky News this Easter
twitter.com 

Shame. I find Sky's on air talent pretty lackluster at present so they certainly don't need to lose one of the few decent ones left.

Still, plenty of BBC talent up for grabs...
[-] The following 5 users Like Alf Stewart's post:
  • bkman1990, Jayesyn, Ma76, Pips2022, UTVLifer

(23-02-2023, 07:44 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Just announced via the Press Gazette that Dermot Murnaghan is to leaving Sky News this Easter
twitter.com 

Oh wow! Was not expecting that! 

I followed Dermot's career super closely right from the get-go. He did the business part of the Channel 4 Daily before joining the main team. Next he did the morning summaries on ITV, and so on.

Just a solid and brilliant broadcaster. I wonder where hell go next.
[-] The following 5 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, Hellsloot, Ma76, UTVLifer

Good Morning Britain and reunited with Susanna Reid?
[-] The following 4 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • Brekkie, DeMarkay, Ma76, Superman1986

Thus is a shame but best wishes for wherever he ends up next.

Sky really do need to start picking up some new presenters.
[-] The following 3 users Like AllanTheScot's post:
  • AJB39, Alf Stewart, DE88

It's been a real privilege to call Dermot a colleague. I'm excited for whatever awaits him next.
[-] The following 10 users Like Skygeek's post:
  • AllanTheScot, DE88, DeMarkay, Jeff, London Lite, Ma76, Richard H, Roger Darthwell, thomash79, UTVLifer

Ah no way. I wasn't expecting that at all.

I will miss Dermot not being on Sky in the near future. He really was a brilliant presenter on Sky News.

His Sunday morning show Murnaghan was one of my favourite shows back then on Sky News. That show was being broadcast when Ukraine was formally annexed by Russia. It covered a lot of detailed news about that story.

Sadly 8 years later; we are now seeing a full blown war unfold between the two countries on our screens.

He was also the first newsreader on my screen who reported on the story of the resignation of the late Pope Benedict in the Vatican which eventually made way for the election of Pope Francis.

I wish Dermot the best of luck in the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • DE88

He's one of the best broadcasters of the last 30 years and I really hope he's not off to join the dark side and trash his legacy.

Agree he'd be a good fit on GMB (can't believe ITV execs want Piers to think he's irreplaceable!) or indeed slot in very easily in any of his roles prior to joining Sky at the BBC, ITV or C4. More likely though that Global have got their chequebook out again, although he's probably around retirement age anyway as think he was around 40 in the ITV Nightly News era.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay, Jayesyn, Ma76, UTVLifer

Any thoughts on who will replace Dermot in the slot.   Hopefully they realise that traditional UK focused rolling news is their key point of difference against the talk based formats on GBN/Talk TV and the BBC World service on BBC News rather than seeing it as an opportunity to go for something more clickbaity.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Dermot ended up back fronting Eggheads again- not in place of Vine, but a job share quite like old times.