Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy

(08-03-2023, 07:18 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  It only be headline worthy if he actually got sacked.

This will be one for Newswatch on Saturday
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, thePineapple

They've a blatantly pro-government Chairman and Head of news. Why shouldn't a sports presenter provide some balance?
[-] The following 6 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, GMc, matthieu1221, seamus, Spencer, thePineapple

ITV are getting their chequebooks ready as we type, no doubt. Predictable.

(08-03-2023, 07:30 PM)CF1 Wrote:  ITV are getting their chequebooks ready as  we type, no doubt. Predictable.

Will ITV want him for their coverage. Feels like they have been getting ready for Laura Woods to have the main job in 2-4 years time. They have always have the opportunity to poach him before and haven’t.

Yeah... I see him ending up on TNT Sport (what's currently BT Sport and Eurosport).

(08-03-2023, 07:48 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah... I see him ending up on TNT Sport (what's currently BT Sport and Eurosport).

He’s worked there before, so is known to the current management! A way out of the beeb maybe?

(08-03-2023, 07:48 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah... I see him ending up on TNT Sport (what's currently BT Sport and Eurosport).
No more World Cup's there though or Euros.

(08-03-2023, 08:21 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  
No more World Cup's there though or Euros.

And he has already quit hosting the Cl once.

Mods could probably do with splitting this thread as it's news coverage really. Worth noting his contract has been renewed after previous controversies. The real issue here is the BBC focusing on the wrong aspect - Lineker is only the story in the minds of the right wing who wish to attack the BBC.

It's ridiculous we're in a situation now where somebody suggesting that language associated with Nazism is a bad thing leads to calls for them to be fired. Impartiality means freedom to criticise a government, as does the most basic principles of human rights. Government staff in all public service broadcasters should be free to express their own opinion, including those at the BBC.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Scratch_Perry, seamus, SuperSajuuk, Transmission

(08-03-2023, 07:27 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  They've a blatantly pro-government Chairman and Head of news. Why shouldn't a sports presenter provide some balance?

Head of News? I know about Richard Sharp, obviously, but whom else are you referring to?