Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy

As well as Gary, Fiona Bruce is now trending on twitter

(08-03-2023, 09:21 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 07:27 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  They've a blatantly pro-government Chairman and Head of news. Why shouldn't a sports presenter provide some balance?

Head of News? I know about Richard Sharp, obviously, but whom else are you referring to?
I believe the reference is to Deborah Turness.

(08-03-2023, 09:26 PM)Andrew Wrote:  As well as Gary, Fiona Bruce is now trending on twitter

Fiona Bruce has been trending pretty much every Thursday night for the last 4 years, so that's nothing new.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yorksman's post:
  • scottishtv

(08-03-2023, 09:29 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 09:26 PM)Andrew Wrote:  As well as Gary, Fiona Bruce is now trending on twitter

Fiona Bruce has been trending pretty much every Thursday night for the last 4 years, so that's nothing new.

What’s funny about that is every week she tells everyone to go on Twitter #bbcqt and to  ‘join in the conversation’

I presume she hasn’t actually seen the conversation
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • GMc, thePineapple, Yorksman

(08-03-2023, 09:21 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 07:27 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  They've a blatantly pro-government Chairman and Head of news. Why shouldn't a sports presenter provide some balance?

Head of News? I know about Richard Sharp, obviously, but whom else are you referring to?
The launch director of GB News, John McAndrew, has been appointed as Director of News Programmes.

www.bbc.com 

A 25 year career across the industry but a stint at GB News somewhat tarnishes a reputation, although he was one of a number to quit in protest at the direction they were moving and to be fair spent three years at NBC News prior to joining GB News - so probably more neutral than some of the chatter around him in the last few days.

Of course though in reality nobody involved in news is completely impartial - it's that they're professional enough for it not to affect their work which is the important thing. I'm sure many are framing this as a professionalism issue too, but if you start silencing a sports presenter then is everyone in all corners of the BBC expected to keep quiet about all issues. That isn't healthy for the BBC or society at all.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Ma76, Newsroom, Spencer, thePineapple

(08-03-2023, 10:37 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 09:21 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Head of News? I know about Richard Sharp, obviously, but whom else are you referring to?
The launch director of GB News, John McAndrew, has been appointed as Director of News Programmes.

www.bbc.com 

A 25 year career across the industry but a stint at GB News somewhat tarnishes a reputation, although he was one of a number to quit in protest at the direction they were moving and to be fair spent three years at NBC News prior to joining GB News - so probably more neutral than some of the chatter around him in the last few days.

Of course though in reality nobody involved in news is completely impartial - it's that they're professional enough for it not to affect their work which is the important thing.  I'm sure many are framing this as a professionalism issue too, but if you start silencing a sports presenter then is everyone in all corners of the BBC expected to keep quiet about all issues.  That isn't healthy for the BBC or society at all.
I had no idea Turness had brought him in. 

I mean - come on? It's an absolute joke.

It’s still the top story on the BBC News at Ten

Meanwhile it isn’t the top story on the ITV News at Ten
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • SunburntRock89

(08-03-2023, 11:03 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It’s still the top story on the BBC News at Ten

Meanwhile it isn’t the top story on the ITV News at Ten

If the Daily Mail is to be believed the BBC news staff are angry that he doesn’t have to follow the impartiality rules they do. So therefore are they making it the top story hoping the BBC sack him.

www.dailymail.co.uk 

(09-03-2023, 12:03 AM)Dadeki Wrote:  www.dailymail.co.uk 

Of course, what's absurd about these Daily Mail / Daily Telegraph BBC-bashing headlines calling for Lineker's head to roll is that as soon as Lineker does leave the BBC, it'll be running BBC-bashing headlines / articles from the other side of the coin such as "Lineker speaks out: I've got my voice back from the biased BBC".