Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy

(08-03-2023, 11:58 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 11:03 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It’s still the top story on the BBC News at Ten

Meanwhile it isn’t the top story on the ITV News at Ten

If the Daily Mail is to be believed the BBC news staff are angry that he doesn’t have to follow the impartiality rules they do. So therefore are they making it the top story hoping the BBC sack him.

This is also being reported by Deadline:
deadline.com 

(08-03-2023, 11:58 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 11:03 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It’s still the top story on the BBC News at Ten

Meanwhile it isn’t the top story on the ITV News at Ten

If the Daily Mail is to be believed the BBC news staff are angry that he doesn’t have to follow the impartiality rules they do. So therefore are they making it the top story hoping the BBC sack him.

1. It's the Daily Mail, so them being outraged about the BBC is a given

2. Lineker isn't BBC News staff, so the rules that apply to them don't neccesarially apply to him anyway.
[-] The following 9 users Like James2001's post:
  • CF1, Former Member 406, IanJRedman, Ma76, Matrix, matthieu1221, Telefunken, Will, Yorksman

This all has a whiff of deflection, diverting attention from the actual story - easier for a government politician to criticise Lineker than defend their policy.

(08-03-2023, 10:37 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 09:21 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Head of News? I know about Richard Sharp, obviously, but whom else are you referring to?
The launch director of GB News, John McAndrew, has been appointed as Director of News Programmes.

www.bbc.com 

A 25 year career across the industry but a stint at GB News somewhat tarnishes a reputation, although he was one of a number to quit in protest at the direction they were moving and to be fair spent three years at NBC News prior to joining GB News - so probably more neutral than some of the chatter around him in the last few days.

Of course though in reality nobody involved in news is completely impartial - it's that they're professional enough for it not to affect their work which is the important thing.  I'm sure many are framing this as a professionalism issue too, but if you start silencing a sports presenter then is everyone in all corners of the BBC expected to keep quiet about all issues.  That isn't healthy for the BBC or society at all.
Ah, right. I had an inkling it was referring to him (bloody GB News, again!) but wasn't sure. Though I wouldn't have thought a couple of months working at GB News automatically turned you into a raving Tory, unless anyone here knows different?  Big Grin  I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt in any case.

(08-03-2023, 10:56 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I had no idea Turness had brought him in. 

I mean - come on? It's an absolute joke.
I get the sense she was very heavily leant on by people very high up to bring him in. Of course I don't know for sure, but it's the impression I get. You probably know more than I do.

(09-03-2023, 07:01 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  This all has a whiff of deflection, diverting attention from the actual story - easier for a government politician to criticise Lineker than defend their policy.

It was Lineker and his ego that gave them the ammunition. Nothing is stopping him defending refugees etc but his OTT language was beyond pathetic .

Everyone is entitled to their own views whether we like them or not. The question is Gary Lineker any different. If says it on one of his BBC shows then the questions of impartiality maybe something to address. I disagree with the wording he used and would be interested to hear from him direct on how he came to use the language used and to justify it. Having said that the language from Braverman was as bad

(08-03-2023, 08:44 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Mods could probably do with splitting this thread as  it's news coverage really.  Worth noting his contract has been renewed after previous controversies.  The real issue here is the BBC focusing on the wrong aspect - Lineker is only the story in the minds of the right wing who wish to attack the BBC.

It's ridiculous we're in a situation now where somebody suggesting that language associated with Nazism is a bad thing leads to calls for them to be fired.    Impartiality means freedom to criticise a government, as does the most basic principles of human rights.  Government staff in all public service broadcasters should be free to express their own opinion, including those at the BBC.

But that's not the case. There are guidelines for BBC staff to be impartial on current politics and Gary Lineker as a recipient of licence fee money is required to uphold that. There are other broadcasters available if he wants freedom to express his own opinions.

I listened to the Media Show podcast on this and they made the point that If Lineker had been more nuanced and said something like "I support the refugees and refugees should be treated more humanely", there likely wound't have been an issue. It's the direct point about a government minister linking them to Nazi Germany where the issue is. Agree or disagree with the statement it was political and deliberately controversial. And you simply can't do that and take a wage from the BBC.
[-] The following 2 users Like thomalex's post:
  • Bluecortina, Ma76

(09-03-2023, 11:22 AM)thomalex Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 08:44 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Mods could probably do with splitting this thread as  it's news coverage really.  Worth noting his contract has been renewed after previous controversies.  The real issue here is the BBC focusing on the wrong aspect - Lineker is only the story in the minds of the right wing who wish to attack the BBC.

It's ridiculous we're in a situation now where somebody suggesting that language associated with Nazism is a bad thing leads to calls for them to be fired.    Impartiality means freedom to criticise a government, as does the most basic principles of human rights.  Government staff in all public service broadcasters should be free to express their own opinion, including those at the BBC.

But that's not the case. There are guidelines for BBC staff to be impartial on current politics and Gary Lineker as a recipient of licence fee money is required to uphold that. There are other broadcasters available if he wants freedom to express his own opinions.

I listened to the Media Show podcast on this and they made the point that If Lineker had been more nuanced and said something like "I support the refugees and refugees should be treated more humanely", there likely wound't have been an issue. It's the direct point about a government minister linking them to Nazi Germany where the issue is. Agree or disagree with the statement it was political and deliberately controversial. And you simply can't do that and take a wage from the BBC.

The BBC has already been clear Lineker is covered by the social media rules.

It's the diminishing the long established Jewish view on Nazi comparisons that's a bigger BBC problem 

This from a Talk TV interview: Jewish Chronicle Editor Jake Wallis Simons says Gary Lineker’s tweet comparing the Government’s migration law with Nazi Germany “is offensive”.

"There is no moral argument in favour of genocide against the Jews... there is in favour of a policy against small boats"

Looking at this issue it's possible to be anti the governments ludicrous policy choices but also see the Lineker needs to be dealt with - If your live broadcaster and can't follow the rules, you can't be trusted to be on air.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stockland Hillman's post:
  • Ma76

www.bbc.co.uk 

Is he still exclusively with the BBC? If so, I wonder if he is perhaps trying to get fired? Maybe he has been offered a more lucrative deal elsewhere.