Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy

This programme is ridiculous. It's like the sort of thing you might see during a period of national mourning or something.

The BBC has really let down viewers, and it has been decision-making by the most senior management that has led to this.
[-] The following 20 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • AJB39, Alf Stewart, Ant, CF1, DeMarkay, GMc, harshy, itsrobert, Jon, Josh, Larry the Loafer, lhx1985, matthieu1221, Newsroom, Nige, nwtv2003, orange, Tim G, Tsigriwa, UTVLifer

A bit of a shame they didn’t feature images of Lineker in the crowd at the Leicester Chelsea game.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jon's post:
  • IanJRedman, Johnnie, Tim G, UTVLifer

I never thought I'd describe an episode of MOTD as 'dystopian', but here we are!

(11-03-2023, 11:29 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  I never thought I'd describe an episode of MOTD as 'dystopian', but here we are!

Filed for post of the year!
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • IanJRedman, UTVLifer

It’s like the sport equivalent of Euronews ‘No Comment’ sequences.
[-] The following 10 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AJB39, bakamann, Jeff, Jon, lhx1985, matthieu1221, oscillon, QuinnTFP, TeeGeeBee, UTVLifer

(11-03-2023, 11:20 PM)Josh Wrote:  Meanwhile on the other side...
twitter.com 

Surely there's some legal repercussion for using the "Match of the Day" name?
I’m sure they could argue it was parody. It’s not like it’s a real show anyway, just a feature on a regular programme.

(11-03-2023, 11:23 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
twitter.com 

Even seeing that clip is offensive.
I dared to watch a bit of it... they kept banging about how their version had 'no virtue signalling'. Could one not argue that that in itself is... virtue signalling?
[-] The following 2 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Alf Stewart, Newsroom

(11-03-2023, 11:31 PM)Jon Wrote:  
twitter.com 

I’m sure they could argue it was parody. It’s not like it’s a real show anyway, just a feature on a regular programme.

You're telling me GBN isn't satire? C'mon, even that Christies character played by David Walliams?
[-] The following 3 users Like lhx1985's post:
  • bakamann, James2001, London Lite

It's fascinating to us, but for the BBC I suspect this programme is an embarrassment.
[-] The following 5 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • AJB39, CF1, GMc, Jeff, UTVLifer

Basically. It’s all really wierd. Just an animation with “Premier League Highlights”, then the crests of the two teams, then the commentary-less highlights. At least on BBC NI the CA apologised for not bringing the normal MOTD programme to us.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • UTVLifer