CITV is to close

(05-05-2023, 09:46 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 09:03 PM)Hybrid Wrote:  A lot of ITV's primetime entertainment could be re-formatted for kids. The Chase, Saturday Night Takeaway, one of the numerous Harry Hill panel shows, Tipping Point... hell, I'm pretty certain The Voice Kids and Ninja Warrior UK actually did air on CITV for their first few series.
I don't think Voice Kids or Ninja Warrior appeared on CITV Channel, the latter had a lot of repeats at all hours of the day and night (and network) - there are a few Ninja Warrior style "shows" on YouTube (America seems quite good at this sort of thing), and the other obvious example of a so-called "junior version" of a prime time show was Gladiators back in the 90s, and of course Crystal Maze via the Christmas specials.

Wipeout did air on CBBC, I can't remember if Hole in the Wall did as well. Train2Win and Crystal Maze are from the block era pre kids TV channels being a thing but you never really saw crossovers with the main channels shows even when they did, the only one I recall was CBBC does Fame Academy and That one time with Text. Santa on CITV

Yeah Total Wipeout did air on CBBC, that's given. A quick poke around on Genome suggests Hole in the Wall did get CBBC reruns in 2010 (Series 2 only by the looks of it, so post Dale Winton), but of course Genome is only what was planned to go out. Whether it did or not is another question, though it probably did.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Tola

(05-05-2023, 09:46 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 09:03 PM)Hybrid Wrote:  A lot of ITV's primetime entertainment could be re-formatted for kids. The Chase, Saturday Night Takeaway, one of the numerous Harry Hill panel shows, Tipping Point... hell, I'm pretty certain The Voice Kids and Ninja Warrior UK actually did air on CITV for their first few series.

I don't think Voice Kids or Ninja Warrior appeared on CITV Channel
There is a video of CITV continuity from 2017 featuring a promo for The Voice Kids. 
youtu.be  (skip to 1:40) 

Ninja Warrior is trickier though because I remember CITV having a blog for the show but after the launch of ITVX, the CITV website had been wiped off the face of the earth. I may need to take a trip to the Wayback Machine…

The channel was very experimental with these kind of more family-oriented and hour long programmes in the 2010s like the two mentioned above, Bear Grylls Survival School, Fort Boyard: Ultimate Challenge and Thunderbirds Are Go with the latter two being pushed not just on CITV but the main ITV network as well.

Whilst it may be cost effective to produce kids versions of shows already running for adults, the problem with most of them is that they merely feature kids and aren't aimed at kids. The target audience is those who normally watch a show but will tend not to watch the kids versions due to a lack of interest, seeing the show as selling out, being dumbed down, etc.

The slot for the show also matters, which is why a broadcaster would maybe want something to appeal to all ages. That isn't the case if the show is for CBBC since the channel isn't for adults. Similarly, Gladiators: Train 2 Win being part of the CITV block meant that the show only had to appeal to kids, but an issue the show had initially was it tried to be educational (contestants were asked questions about health and fitness). Perhaps if it wasn't called Gladiators this format could have worked as viewers wouldn't have felt they were being undermined?

(05-05-2023, 09:56 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Yeah Total Wipeout did air on CBBC, that's given.  A quick poke around on Genome suggests Hole in the Wall did get CBBC reruns in 2010 (Series 2 only by the looks of it, so post Dale Winton), but of course Genome is only what was planned to go out.  Whether it did or not is another question, though it probably did.

Even Merlin got repeats on CBBC around 2011/12.
genome.ch.bbc.co.uk 

There was a plan, around 2015/16, to revive How as a Saturday early evening programme (in the old TV Burp slot). Fred Dinenage, Gareth Jones and Carol Vorderman were all going to return as hosts, along with a couple of new faces. It would have gone out live - with an audience - and it was going to be this big sciencey spectacular, with live experiments and scientists doing live Zoom interviews. Sadly, the ITV execs got cold feet and ultimately nixed the idea. There is a video in which Gareth Jones talks about all this in extensive detail below:

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • Ma76

I guess they went with its not rocket science instead. Although the HOW revival then could have probably worked as a 7.30pm Tuesday programme too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • Kojak

ITVX Kids is launching on 22nd July, with more programming rolling out during August

rxtvinfo.com 

CITV will be used to direct viewers to ITVX Kids before its eventual closure in the autumn
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rex's post:
  • interestednovice

It's also been reported that the rebooted series of HOW is going to end following CITV's closure
www.tvzoneuk.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roger Darthwell's post:
  • interestednovice

"ITV2 will continue to show a range of ITVX Kids programmes in a new breakfast time slot."

Seems to indicate that the CITV brand won't be used for this strand.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 4 users Like WillPS's post:
  • bilky asko, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Ma76