Challenge Anneka

Looks like it's coming back and we won't have to wait too long...

www.dailymail.co.uk 

Yes, it's back next Saturday on Channel 5 at 8.50pm for an hour & a half!! With the original theme music, similar logo & original presenters.

Pretty accurate recreation of the original titles just now, with Anneka whirlwinding down the road front and centre and all the animations and theme tune there!!

The start of the show had the opening few bars of Treasure Hunt as Anneka traversed the sky in her helicopter. Nice touch!! It also featured a lengthier excerpt halfway through the programme!

Great to see Malcolm Heyworth credited with Anneka Rice for devising the format at the end!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Juicy Joe's post:
  • Former Member 406

The constant snippets of theme tune are very annoying, especially as Channel 5's break bumpers also use it. Very annoying.

A few years ago I watched a couple of the original episodes on YouTube a few years ago and they're very slow and not as exciting as I remember. TV production values and audience expectations have changed a lot

Loved it as a teenager, the revival isn't grabbing me to be honest. Though it was amusing to hear her trying to blag something on the phone from someone who was too young to know what Challenge Anneka is

You have to laugh at the amount of brand names on show, all the builders with branded hi-viz or sweatshirts, interviews done in front of branded plant. They’ve even got DAF mugs who presumably provided the lorry. Obviously part of the deal to give away free materials.

I agree with the above where the theme tune seems to get three bursts into every ad break

If only she brought back Treasure Hunt!

Series 1 & 2 of Treasure Hunt was repeated on Challenge probably about 10 years ago.

(18-03-2023, 11:09 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  If only she brought back Treasure Hunt!

Series 1 & 2 of Treasure Hunt was repeated on Challenge probably about 10 years ago.

I think expecting her to run about on a show like that aged 64 might be a bit much to ask. She could present from the studio in a Kenneth Kendall type role though.

Treasure Hunt was revived briefly in the early 2000s with Suzi Perry as the Sky Runner and Dermot Murnaghan as the studio presenter. Castle Air even provided the helicopter and Keith flew the chopper again but... it flopped after 2 series.

Also, I doubt they'd get away with hanging out the side of a helicopter, driving around with the presenter and crew being tossed from side to side in the back of an open pick up truck or some of the other antics they got up to on Treasure Hunt or Interceptor these days because of health and safety legislation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Worzel's post:
  • fusionlad

I think the main reason the 00s version flopped was because it was basically thrown around the schedules, put on at random times on hot summers days when few would have been watching TV and similar.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • DE88

That was just too long a show!
[-] The following 1 user Likes HTVbest's post:
  • Brekkie

(18-03-2023, 11:28 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Also, I doubt they'd get away with hanging out the side of a helicopter, driving around with the presenter and crew being tossed from side to side in the back of an open pick up truck or some of the other antics they got up to on Treasure Hunt or Interceptor these days because of health and safety legislation.
Health & Safety ruins everything.  There was no health and safety back in the 80's & 90's. I'm not sure why they invented it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Juicy Joe's post:
  • Former Member 406