Closedowns and Sign offs appreciation thread

Another foreign goodie. ARTE, the Franco-German arts channels baffling, po-mo closedown from the 90s.
youtu.be 

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • stusoldvideo, The Decimator

I'd probably struggle to get to sleep if I'd seen that, it's nightmarish.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • GMc, The Decimator

youtu.be 

The final moments of Setanta Sports News.

From 9:01 it looks like they ran the closing down announcement again but with no sound.

Why would they have killed the sound but not the picture?

www.youtube.com  Yet again a Another foreign Goodie A Viasat6 (Hungary) Not really a Closedown But A Broadcast break At around midnight when they show The aquarium For about 11 Minutes

Here is a closedown (or rather a signoff) from CBNT-DT (CBC Newfoundland) in 2006, notice the difference in image quality between the anthems of Canada and Newfoundland
www.youtube.com 

Two favourites spring to mind...
youtu.be 
(Closedown is at the end)

Also another from UK Gold's first look that resurfaced last year:
youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tola's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

Of course I forgot all about this one, again from Not The Nine O'Clock News, spoofing the late night "Epilogue"/Religious "thought for the day" type programmes just before the actual closedown:
www.youtube.com 

(might have done better to put this with the spoof BBC 2 Closedown on the previous page Wink)

m.youtube.com 

This is a BBC Two closedown from the early hours of January 2nd 1998 I found on an old tape, and must be one of the last times they signed off in this way, the clock followed by black screen and tone. Downtime would soon be filled with Pages from Ceefax and the clock would be replaced with an ident or just a straight cut into Ceefax, right up until that service ended in 2012.

Some might remember this on the old MHP PP site, as I uploaded it in a tiny bitrate with out of sync audio about 15 years ago - these last few months I’ve been redoing all those old uploads in better quality for YouTube using the original tapes.
[-] The following 4 users Like BillyH's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Tola, TVenthusiasm, TVFan

Actually through most of 1998 they had test card F on through the night rather than switching the transmitter off, they only switched to all night ceefax in late 98/early 99.
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • BillyH, Roger Darthwell, The Decimator, TVenthusiasm

When Mark Chapman was a BBC Two announcer he used to end the day with the clock followed by a sting rather than a full length ident. I don’t suppose the tradition of ending with clock/ident ended due to change in announcers after this time?

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • Roger Darthwell