Late Night Lycett

So this show which seems to have been over a year in the making finally launched last week. The show has proper TFI/Big Breakfast vibes and is the type of live show we all want to see on Telly.

I didn’t think it was some of Joe’s best work, who I usually find clips of his stand up and his other Channel 4 show to be brilliant. But this just felt like he was parodying what you’d expect Joe Lycett to be like if you’ve never seen watched anything with Joe Lycett. 

They had a feature with TVs Clare Sweeney live in his local shop but there didn’t really seem any reason for her to be there, as they didn’t actively encourage people to visit for a prize or anything. 

The second half of the show was much better with the fake spontaneity one hopes to get from this kind of live show, such as Katherine Ryan becoming trapped on a barge.

The other thing to mention is it comes from the new Digbeth loc studio which seems nice, but very narrow so I can see why MasterChef are going there. Not sure what else is could accommodate though.

There was also a parody of GB News/Talk TV.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990

(04-04-2023, 09:42 PM)London Lite Wrote:  There was also a parody of GB News/Talk TV.

twitter.com 
GB News yes, but not sure I’ve seen any programmes of this type on TalkTV.

I think Late Night Lycett was brilliant though- harks back to the glory days of C4 when they had TFI Friday and The Word.
[-] The following 2 users Like Gary Baldy's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay

With Alan there it’s reminiscent of the Friday Night News.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • bkman1990, Gary Baldy, GMc

(04-04-2023, 08:37 PM)Jon Wrote:  I didn’t think it was some of Joe’s best work, who I usually find clips of his stand up and his other Channel 4 show to be brilliant. But this just felt like he was parodying what you’d expect Joe Lycett to be like if you’ve never seen watched anything with Joe Lycett. 

They had a feature with TVs Clare Sweeney live in his local shop but there didn’t really seem any reason for her to be there, as they didn’t actively encourage people to visit for a prize or anything. 

I've just got round to watching it. It's very on par with Joe's other presenting gigs of late, so I wouldn't say his standards have slipped at all. As for Clare Sweeney, I thought it was pretty on-brand for Lycett and his penchant for featuring - for want of a better term - "not as famous as they used to be" celebrities in his work.

The Richard Yewtree sketch was brilliant in that Alan Carr clearly didn't have a chance to rehearse, taking full advantage of the show being live and both he and Joe clearly revelling in it. A nice change to the less-than-ad-libbed material that comes out of The Last Leg that still seems to miss as much as it hits with the studio audience.

Overall, whilst it's slightly lacking in the TFI-esque energy I was expecting in parts (for better or worse), I thought it was pretty spot on. With any luck, it'll push The Last Leg aside (on which my opinion has already been hinted at) and hopefully become Channel 4's new Friday night staple.
[-] The following 3 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • bkman1990, Gary Baldy, PWD

(04-04-2023, 11:34 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Overall, whilst it's slightly lacking in the TFI-esque energy I was expecting in parts (for better or worse), I thought it was pretty spot on. With any luck, it'll push The Last Leg aside (on which my opinion has already been hinted at) and hopefully become Channel 4's new Friday night staple.

They already seem to be returning Mo Gilligan’s Friday evening programme as well (The Lateish Show I think is the title). So I wonder if we’ll see more of a three way split between them, as I cannot imagine they’ll totally retire The Last Leg anytime soon…

(04-04-2023, 09:47 PM)Jon Wrote:  With Alan there it’s reminiscent of the Friday Night News.
Yeah there were very big Friday Night News vibes in this segment. I'd love to see them do a reboot of The Friday Night Project although perhaps not with JLC.

[Image: sig.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheRealWB's post:
  • GMc

(05-04-2023, 01:46 AM)TheRealWB Wrote:  
(04-04-2023, 09:47 PM)Jon Wrote:  With Alan there it’s reminiscent of the Friday Night News.
Yeah there were very big Friday Night News vibes in this segment. I'd love to see them do a reboot of The Friday Night Project although perhaps not with JLC.

Whatever happened to Justin Lee Collins actually? He seemed to be on every time I’d switch the telly on the mid 2000s but seemed to have totally vanished by the 2010s.

(05-04-2023, 02:09 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  
(05-04-2023, 01:46 AM)TheRealWB Wrote:  Yeah there were very big Friday Night News vibes in this segment. I'd love to see them do a reboot of The Friday Night Project although perhaps not with JLC.

Whatever happened to Justin Lee Collins actually? He seemed to be on every time I’d switch the telly on the mid 2000s but seemed to have totally vanished by the 2010s.
www.bbc.co.uk 

(05-04-2023, 02:09 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  
(05-04-2023, 01:46 AM)TheRealWB Wrote:  Yeah there were very big Friday Night News vibes in this segment. I'd love to see them do a reboot of The Friday Night Project although perhaps not with JLC.

He was convicted of harassing his ex-girlfriend in 2010 which pretty much killed his TV career. I did see him do something online recently but I doubt any channel/production would touch him these days. It's a shame because he was actually quite a good presenter.

[Image: sig.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like TheRealWB's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay