Doctor Who

twitter.com 

Not looking good ratings wise, although these figures will obviously be with the above caveats.

EDIT: 2.6m for the first episode and 2.4m for the second.
[-] The following 1 user Likes iloveTV1's post:
  • Happy2001

The usual suspects will inevitably pickup on the lower than average overnight ratings, without taking into consideration the episodes are being released on iPlayer and Disney+ first. As for viewers in the RoI, I'd assume there's a fair proportion that would've used VPNs (or similar tech) to access the epiosdes on iPlayer, There'll also be some in the RoI that'll have used, let's say, somewhat less than reputable online methods we can't fully discuss here to obtain the episodes.

As already said, DVR devices are still a necessity, even if they are aging (but not yet obsolete) technology while the use the streaming services becomes more widespread.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheGregmeister's post:
  • Reith85

To be fair, I imagine the majority of ROI viewers will have watched it the same way they always have done - the linear airing on BBC One, rather than necessarily resorting toe anything illegitimate. It’s just that it seems we’re being treated, for reasons which to the causal viewer might not be readily obvious, different to the rest of the world. Not for us the midnight streaming of the episode when it drops on the iPlayer or Disney+ - we’re waiting patiently for Saturday night to sit down on front of the telly (or behind the couch maybe!) the old fashioned way.

Ratings wise I think we need to all remember, both episodes were made available on BBC iPlayer at Midnight on Saturday, so plenty of time for fans to watch them, and not have to wait until 6.20pm to watch it.

Again, I feel like I am repeating myself, linear audiences are not where the viewers are anymore - streaming is where the numbers are key. So 2.6 million and 2.4 million for two episodes which had already been available many many hours before transmission is actually good viewing figures.

If the episodes weren't released early, then I would be worried.
[-] The following 3 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • AndrewP, Reith85, Strange

With the weather etc I would be suprised if more than 500k had prewatched before it aired.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • iloveTV1