Scared of the Dark

This actually isn't bad at all - one of the best cast celeb reality shows in some time.   Yes, it's basically Big Brother in the Dark but it's way more entertaining than Rise and Fall was.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay

Funny, I much preferred Rise and Fall (bar the silly end twist). I find the constant night vision in this (which I know obviously has to happen) to be unwatchable.

1m for first episode, down to 596k for the second. If it doesn't come back then they can try and paint the show in a positive light with the worthy social experiment faff.

A lot of these reality shows lately don't seem to be going anywhere. The Traitors held up but I'd argue that this was as much down to it being a BBC1 show and the audience it was likely to appeal to finding in later on in its run than watching it from the start.

The Traitors was genuinely different both in terms of format and casting. Part of its appeal was having a range of ordinary people, not vague celebrities. Scared of The Dark seems very much like Celebrity Big Brother in the dark.

That said, Rise and Fall from the same producers as Traitors was also cast well but didn't catch on.

I saw some of SOTD last night and it did seem very cruel in parts, I assume the person with Danny Dyer was some sort of doctor or phycologist, he was laughing at someone genuinely scared of heights. Danny Dyer seemed to delight in her being upset

It's an interesting show but after you've seen (no pun intended) Episode 1 you've basically seen it all and the viewers have obviously agreed with that

I know Chris Eubank went off in a bit of a sulk but the box challenge he obviously worked out Max had won by default after the third box so he didn't need to bother taking part in the rest!

Did they really need to include the calls from home, they've been away about 3 days!

I'm also wondering how the diary room works as they're in the light for that to an extent, unless they filmed those *after* the show

Rise & Fall was a decent show - the 1st week seemed to stay fairly rigid to the rules, but after that, there were lots of fun twists and turns. The premise of the show was interesting and similar to The Traitors and at least the players could articulate and not effing & jeffing like many reality shows. I'm surprised it didn't perform better, I found it as additive if not more than The Traitors. I hope it returns for a second series.

As for Scared of the Dark, well, it doesn't compare.
[-] The following 2 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • Alessi, iloveTV1

I think for many the casting of Rise and Fall put people off very quickly and then it airing at 10pm rather than 9pm just swayed the decision not to watch.

I've enjoyed Scared of the Dark though fed up of them going on about it being a "world first". That's something Aussie reality shows like to brag about, and they very rarely are world firsts. Whilst this technically may be the first time 8 British celebrities have spent 180 hours in the dark it feels like a format that's done before to varying extents.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay

My biggest issue with Rise and Fall was the way in episode 2 they essentially did the opposite of the premise of the show and eliminated one of the penthouse contestants completely from the game rather than sending them back downstairs as you would expect. Otherwise the content of the episodes I saw was very unengaging and I gave up after episode 3.

Scared of the Dark I've found surprisingly enjoyable and it has been like watching the old days of Celebrity Big Brother again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gottago's post:
  • Brekkie

I really enjoyed SotD, especially once Chris Eubank left, haven't never liked him and this show just confirmed why I don't. The whole show and cast just felt more relaxed after he left.

I hope C4 commission a second series, one with regular people would be good to see.

Couldn't decide how I felt about Danny being the presenter, part of me loved him and part of me couldn't stand him.

If we do get a second series, it would be good if the number of episodes matched the number of days they're in the dark, as with this series they were in for 8 days I believe, but we only got 5 episodes so it could feel a bit rushed at times.

I do think it was really good and very much had Celeb BB in the Dark vibes. Whether there is enough to sustain a second series I'm not so sure, but then people said that about Big Brother as well.

They could have got an extra episode out of it if they'd kept the episodes to an hour (series having episodes of varying length is an irrational annoyance of mine!) but not sure the content was there across the 8 days (well 7 and a half) to sustain much more, although perhaps there is another hour out of unaired Gazza stories that might be worth a watch. Feel a reunion episode at the end would have been nice too.