UK emergency alert

This is happening on Sunday at 15:00.

Apparently the government have chosen this time to avoid some televised football and running, which seems a shame, live coverage of thousands of phones going off in unison would have been a great moment in television history and probably a more thorough test of the system.

With that in mind, how will you be spending the moment on Sunday? Hanging around your local shopping centre or watching television? What will you be watching?

I suppose news channels will be covering it live anyway so presumably any reporter whose phone rings at 15:00 will just be part of the coverage.

Various shopping channels will be live at 15:00 but probably doing their TOTH sequence rather then actually live at the time of the test.

What does that leave then? Live sport?

What else is being broadcast at 15:00 on Sunday? Ideally something with a large crowd or audience.

I’ve disabled it. I want the government to leave me alone.

I hope there isn’t live tv coverage. What would they actually broadcast anyway?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scrotnig's post:
  • CATV, CocuGrimshaw2001

There is a Premier League game but it'll be half time but the most noteable event, which requires silence in the crowd, is the snooker - which will be half an hour into the afternoon session. This will likely be more disruptive than the Just Stop Oil protest.

According to this article the snooker is going to be stopped before 3pm

www.independent.co.uk 

(21-04-2023, 07:56 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  There is a Premier League game but it'll be half time but the most noteable event, which requires silence in the crowd, is the snooker - which will be half an hour into the afternoon session.  This will likely be more disruptive than the Just Stop Oil protest.

I'd have thought the snooker match audiences at The Crucible would be told to turn their phones off completely anyway before entering the auditorium.

Much like when you're entering a TV studio as an audience member to see a show being recorded. They usually always check your phone is switched off.

(21-04-2023, 07:08 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I’ve disabled it. I want the government to leave me alone.

Why?, this is essentially just the same as RDS on your car radio.

(21-04-2023, 07:08 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I’ve disabled it. I want the government to leave me alone.

Or you could drop to 3G instead. The alerts are only being sent to those with 4G/5G enabled.

(21-04-2023, 10:13 PM)London Lite Wrote:  

Or you could drop to 3G instead.  The alerts are only being sent to those with 4G/5G enabled.

Really? So if my phone is just in my pocket without a wifi or data connection I won’t get the sound?

This may help:
www.theguardian.com 

(21-04-2023, 10:13 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Or you could drop to 3G instead.  The alerts are only being sent to those with 4G/5G enabled.
Going off-topic slightly but 3G is in the process of being permanently switched off by the networks. Vodafone this year, with EE and Three confirming switch off next year. I suspect this may be why they're not bothering to test it on what remains of the 3G network.

Worth noting that the emergency alert feature is apparently works on devices running iOS 14.5 onwards, and Android 11 onwards. Also apparently Apple watches using WatchOS 8.5. (Info taken from Three support website.) I believe all of these operating systems were launched longer after 4G support became standard on phones/SIMs.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.