Barry Humphries: Dame Edna Everage comedian dies at 89

Australian entertainer Barry Humphries, best known for his comic character Dame Edna Everage, has died aged 89.

The star had been in hospital in Sydney after suffering complications following hip surgery in March. He had a fall in February.

Humphries' most famous creation became a hit in the UK in the 1970s and landed her own TV chat show, the Dame Edna Everage Experience, in the late 1980s.

BBC News
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dadeki's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

Edna/Barry was hilarious on any show they ever appeared in. He would dominate the programme, and wouldn’t take over as host in a very splendid way. What a talent. What a maestro. RIP Edna.
[-] The following 6 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • AJB39, chaose, DeMarkay, Roger Darthwell, SirBiscuit45, thomash79

My favourite character of his was Les Patterson.

Barry was an absolute comedy genius, there will never be anybody like him again, unfortunately.

GET FUNKY | BE FUNKY | STAY FUNKY | YO HUSSLE HUSSLE

RIP and less than a month after Paul O'Grady too, it really is weird how the celebrity deaths work like that so often Sad

Here is perhaps one of his last and recent appearance on This Morning, warning to headphone users in advance for Alison!

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Johnr's post:
  • chaose, DJ Dave, thomash79

It's all too easy to come off sounding like Amanda Holden and say he was anti-woke, but Barry was of that rare breed of entertainer who had you on the edge of your seat thinking about what was going to be said or done, because you knew his characters had little care about the consequences.

And I'm not talking about your "PC gone mad" nonsense, but I can't think of anyone else besides Dame Edna who could get away with momentarily sharing the royal box at the Royal Variety show, then proclaiming she's been offered better seats. Barry wasn't afraid to shock, which I don't think is the same as offending. That's what some commentators are going to try and skew, and I think that's a disservice to his skill, talent, and his courage.

Comedy is certainly a lot duller without him around anymore.
[-] The following 5 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • AJB39, Kojak, London Lite, thomash79, Tola

I love that This Morning clip, however it annoys me that that’s the minute that is clipped everywhere!

As it misses a key detail, that moments before Barry had been talking about how brilliant his memory still was. Which obviously makes the preceding 60 seconds even funnier…
[-] The following 2 users Like Ash101's post:
  • fanoftv, Larry the Loafer

Dame Edna pops into the continuity studio ahead of the first 'Audience With'
youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Spencer

I was in the canteen with a group of fellow engineers having our evening meal and Barry came and sat down a couple of tables away from us. He was quite loud and knowing it was going to disturb us I turned round to his direction. He noticed, and his eyes met mine. I instantly feared I’d made a huge mistake and knew I was in for a verbal tongue lashing in his inevitable style. But not a bit of it, he realised he was disturbing us and toned it down instantly. Nice guy and very well liked by the studio crews.

If you saw Dame Edna around the studios that was who it was - “Dame Edna”, Barry simply never existed and was never referred to.
[-] The following 6 users Like Bluecortina's post:
  • Alessi, London Lite, Si-Co, Spencer, thomash79, TVFan

First Lily Savage, now Dame Edna. All the old school drag acts are dying out… we’re stuck with Mrs Brown…

(24-04-2023, 08:24 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  First Lily Savage, now Dame Edna. All the old school drag acts are dying out… we’re stuck with Mrs Brown…
I would say Mrs Brown is very much an old school drag act.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • Gary Baldy, London Lite