Jerry Springer has died aged 79

www.mirror.co.uk 

Another TV legend gone. We seem to be suddenly losing a lot of celebs in the last few weeks.
[-] The following 3 users Like TheGregmeister's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay, Si-Co

(27-04-2023, 03:26 PM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  www.mirror.co.uk 

Another TV legend gone. We seem to be suddenly losing a lot of celebs in the last few weeks.

I wonder if the clip of him presenting This Morning will show up (it used to be on YouTube but last time I looked, it had gone)

More reliable sources than a red topped tabloid:
www.bbc.co.uk 

news.sky.com 

Looks like the source is TMZ of all places.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • bkman1990, Nobby

(27-04-2023, 03:34 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  More reliable sources than a red topped tabloid:
www.bbc.co.uk 

news.sky.com 

Looks like the source is TMZ of all places.

I saw the story break on Mirror.co.uk first before going over to the BBC News website, and it wasn't on there yet. It would seem the Mirror, and most likely other Reach PLC owned dailies reported this story before the (arguably more reputable) BBC reported on this.

I hope David Letterman (another TV talk show legend) is still with us for at least a few more years, as he's in the same age group as Jerry Springer was.
[-] The following 3 users Like TheGregmeister's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell, W1ll

(27-04-2023, 03:34 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  More reliable sources than a red topped tabloid:
To be fair a red top tabloid seems quite apt considering the content he’s most notable for presenting. He was a lot more likeable than his content though.

He was of course born in the London Underground during the war and was probably one of the few (if only) US based US presenters who’d be considered for presenting shows here, I exclude someone like Donny Osmond as he’s very much trading off his musical fame.

When he did America’s Got Talent for a season, it was quite a step up for him as he wasn’t really seen as primetime presenter over there. When he was on a UK show it always seemed like a bit of a coup on a par with getting someone like Tom Cruise on board.

It’s all going a bit 2016 for celebrity deaths.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jon's post:
  • bkman1990, Bluecortina, DeMarkay, Gary Baldy, Happy2001

I seem to recall Jerry Springer had a short lived late night talk show on ITV with a format akin to the nightly talk shows on the main US networks.

Meanwhile, when Jerry Springer was a guest on The Late Show With David Letterman 25 years (and 3 days) ago . . .

www.youtube.com 

Are you sure? I remember he had a daytime one. Just before The Jeremy Kyle Show launched.

(27-04-2023, 04:39 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Are you sure? I remember he had a daytime one. Just before The Jeremy Kyle Show launched.

Indeed he did have a daytime talk show that originally (IIRC) alternated with the first series of Jeremy Kyle's show, but . . .

Quote:In September 1999, Springer made a pilot for a Letterman-style talk show for ITV called Jerry Springer on Sunday. The show received good reviews and ratings and a further four episodes were commissioned to be broadcast in May 2000.[60] Five were actually broadcast during May and June 2000 under the name Springer.
en.wikipedia.org 

(27-04-2023, 05:02 PM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  
(27-04-2023, 04:39 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Are you sure? I remember he had a daytime one. Just before The Jeremy Kyle Show launched.

Indeed he did have a daytime talk show that originally (IIRC) alternated with the first series of Jeremy Kyle's show, but . . .

It didn’t alternate with Kyle’s show, Springer basically did a broadcast pilot series, then they tried out Kyle in the same slot with same titles and set but coloured blue rather than red.

I have a vague memory of an early ITV 2 also doing a ‘The Jerry Springer Show UK’ although unlike the later version that was an officially licensed version of the original with the same logo etc and ’Jerry’ chants.

I was first introduced to Jerry Springer when his show was acquired by UK Living, which was well before ITV acquired the US series and I think a 2 week UK filler before The Jeremy Kyle Show launched, filmed from Granada to get people used to the Kyle format.

It was a cult favourite for those of us who had multi-channel tv in the mid 90s. The Springer Show lives on FAST channels such as Nosey on Pluto TV, Freevee and Plex Live TV.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay, Roger Darthwell