Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present

(27-05-2023, 08:02 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  New F1 ident aired before Monoco GP highlights.

www.tvhome.co.uk 

Odd to omit the logo.

Nothing amazing execution wise… but at the same time (in this… let’s call it the current ident climate) I’m also quite grateful that they’re trying to make an effort with this sort of thing at all.
[-] The following 9 users Like orange's post:
  • benzj, Brekkie, fanoftv, insert_good_username_here, Jonny, Larry the Loafer, strollfan, Studio7, Tola

(27-05-2023, 08:02 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  New F1 ident aired before Monoco GP highlights.

www.tvhome.co.uk 

Odd to omit the logo.
That looks like a promising first draft, but definitely unfinished.

A missed opportunity to do something interesting with the 4 logo. Why not have the "camera" smash through it as the countdown ends, or something similarly dynamic?

(29-05-2023, 10:53 AM)Jonny Wrote:  That looks like a promising first draft, but definitely unfinished.

A missed opportunity to do something interesting with the 4 logo. Why not have the "camera" smash through it as the countdown ends, or something similarly dynamic?
I said this earlier: I suspect the logo might be generated 'live' on these new idents, but whoever runs these things forgot to switch it on when that particular example went out.

(29-05-2023, 11:56 AM)Studio7 Wrote:  I said this earlier: I suspect the logo might be generated 'live' on these new idents, but whoever runs these things forgot to switch it on when that particular example went out.

Interesting speculation, although it went out again last night in the same state:

www.tvhome.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonny's post:
  • Studio7

(29-05-2023, 01:49 PM)Jonny Wrote:  Interesting speculation, although it went out again last night in the same state:

www.tvhome.co.uk 
Maybe not, then. How bizarre. This is Channel 4 we're talking about, I suppose.

Didn't Channel 4 have a version of their logo where the 4 was on its side so it looked like a Formula 1 car? Might have been used for their Twitter account IIRC. The regular 4 appearing and then spinning around to be that logo would have worked perfectly.
[-] The following 2 users Like rick's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Studio7

(29-05-2023, 01:49 PM)Jonny Wrote:  Interesting speculation, although it went out again last night in the same state:

www.tvhome.co.uk 

This is beyond weird. I thought the 4 was supposed to tour us around the 4 universe of boxes, and the first special ident is an empty box.

(29-05-2023, 03:08 PM)rick Wrote:  Didn't Channel 4 have a version of their logo where the 4 was on its side so it looked like a Formula 1 car? Might have been used for their Twitter account IIRC. The regular 4 appearing and then spinning around to be that logo would have worked perfectly.

This was the previous version but I'm sure there was an earlier version too in the block style.

www.tvhome.co.uk 

Talking of which how many non-Christmas blocks versions were there?   Shame that never became the look.

Alongside the brilliant clock The Simpsons one got used the most.  Think there was F1 and possibly a racing one too in it's first year.   Then some specials like the pride flag.

Studio7 Wrote:Maybe not, then. How bizarre. This is Channel 4 we're talking about, I suppose.

I can’t think of a reason why they might want to generate the 4 live, but then the BBC logo was keyed live onto the 90s virtual globe (and possibly onto the 2s), and I’ve no idea why they did that rather than having it burned into the recordings.

(29-05-2023, 08:10 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I can’t think of a reason why they might want to generate the 4 live, but then the BBC logo was keyed live onto the 90s virtual globe (and possibly onto the 2s), and I’ve no idea why they did that rather than having it burned into the recordings.
The BBC logo was definitely keyed live onto the 2s. The very first broadcast of those idents (Paint) had no logo. I think they were keyed live, rather being burned on, for the benefit of the nations, which used 'BBC Scotland'/'BBC Northern Ireland' instead ('this is BBC Wales on 1', anyone?). Originally I'm pretty sure the lines under the BBC blocks were coloured differently for each nation, too.

I can't think why the 4 would be generated live either, and looking at the other new idents, I suspect it actually isn't. So how strange for the F1 ident not to have a logo. Unless that's how all new 'special' idents will be?
[-] The following 2 users Like Studio7's post:
  • chaose, Spencer