Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present

(03-05-2023, 07:08 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  Updated ident:

theident.gallery 

I am not doing this to be contrarian, but I actually rather like the green blocks. Its a fresh colour, and comes across as the sort of green you'd use for a Spring ident package back in the day. The newer, more pronounced '4' Mnenomic (I call them jingles, don't @ me) is ambient, but pleasant. I do like the coloured rooms look that these supplementary idents are using. It genuinely is good to see colour again on the Channel 4 ident

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • Edogawa Ranpo, insert_good_username_here, JosiahStuart, Lyric

I'm liking the new look so far myself, too  -  Though I'm more excited to see the new names for the other channels  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lyric's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

Well, the press release did say that things would start to change from Spring 2023 onwards, so this is the start of it. I assume once Channel 4 has all of its changes applied, they'll start with the sister channels, though will they change them one by one or all at once is the question.

Also, from re-reading some statements from a few months ago, it is interesting that they said 'the E4 brand will continue', and not 'the E4 channel will continue". So I think the channel names may actually change, but perhaps a block of programming will keep the E4 branding?
[-] The following 2 users Like rick's post:
  • Edogawa Ranpo, JosiahStuart

(03-05-2023, 10:28 PM)rick Wrote:  Well, the press release did say that things would start to change from Spring 2023 onwards, so this is the start of it. I assume once Channel 4 has all of its changes applied, they'll start with the sister channels, though will they change them one by one or all at once is the question.

Also, from re-reading some statements from a few months ago, it is interesting that they said 'the E4 brand will continue', and not 'the E4 channel will continue". So I think the channel names may actually change, but perhaps a block of programming will keep the E4 branding?
An odd conclusion - that would be a pretty dumb move.   Of course the only place I've seen any suggestion C4 would ditch their long established and respected sub brands is here and then people ran with it.  Not sure there was even an original source for it.

Frustrating they seem to be taking a BBC style chameleon approach to this rebrand when they've generally managed to do everything at once in previous years.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, insert_good_username_here

The official press release says:-

Quote:"‘All 4’ will change to ‘Channel 4’ as Channel 4 becomes the first UK broadcaster to adopt one brand identity across its digital and linear channels as audiences increasingly no longer distinguish between digital and linear content. Channel 4’s entire portfolio of channels will also align with the ‘Channel 4’ brand."

That last line is what people are taking to mean that the channels are renaming, perhaps to 4 ___ , so I wouldn't say my understanding of it is odd. We just don't know what exactly is meant by the wording in the press release, but the sister channels are getting new idents, so perhaps they'll be getting new logos and even new names too...? I guess we will find out soon enough.
[-] The following 6 users Like rick's post:
  • benzj, bkman1990, Brekkie, Edogawa Ranpo, Happy2001, insert_good_username_here

Nothing to dislike in my opinion. Fresh. Audio logo easily memorable. Well on the right track for the streaming age.
[-] The following 5 users Like Adsales's post:
  • Alessi, Apples, bkman1990, Edogawa Ranpo, insert_good_username_here

I personally don't mind most new elements of the new branding coming to Channel 4, but the trailer end boards look so visually messy to me when it zooms out to showcase other Channel 4 shows that you can stream on Channel4.com.

I really hope this isn't all we're getting.
[-] The following 2 users Like David's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

(04-05-2023, 11:41 AM)David Wrote:  I personally don't mind most new elements of the new branding coming to Channel 4, but the trailer end boards look so visually messy to me when it zooms out to showcase other Channel 4 shows that you can stream on Channel4.com.

I really hope this isn't all we're getting.
They did promise some new artist designed idents, but it's unknown exactly when we'll see them on air.
[-] The following 3 users Like Edogawa Ranpo's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, insert_good_username_here

(04-05-2023, 08:25 AM)rick Wrote:  The official press release says:-

Quote:"‘All 4’ will change to ‘Channel 4’ as Channel 4 becomes the first UK broadcaster to adopt one brand identity across its digital and linear channels as audiences increasingly no longer distinguish between digital and linear content. Channel 4’s entire portfolio of channels will also align with the ‘Channel 4’ brand."

That last line is what people are taking to mean that the channels are renaming, perhaps to 4 ___ , so I wouldn't say my understanding of it is odd. We just don't know what exactly is meant by the wording in the press release, but the sister channels are getting new idents, so perhaps they'll be getting new logos and even new names too...? I guess we will find out soon enough.

For me "align" is just common branding elements, rather than giving every channel the same name.   Virtually every rebrand of the last 25 years has seen some alignment amongst multichannels.   

Prior to the 2015 rebrand other than E4 despite unique looks and logos the trailer endboards and menus were aligned across C4, More4, Film4 and 4Music.   E4 adopted the menu design but not the trailer endboards.   Ironically in recent years despite the new logos the channels have become more distinct in presentational elements, so this may bring them back together but no reason they can't retain their unique names, logos and idents - though More4 desperately needs new idents and now C4 is green probably a new colour scheme too.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay, Happy2001, insert_good_username_here, Superman1986

(04-05-2023, 12:24 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(04-05-2023, 08:25 AM)rick Wrote:  The official press release says:-

For me "align" is just common branding elements, rather than giving every channel the same name.   Virtually every rebrand of the last 25 years has seen some alignment amongst multichannels.   

Prior to the 2015 rebrand other than E4 despite unique looks and logos the trailer endboards and menus were aligned across C4, More4, Film4 and 4Music.   E4 adopted the menu design but not the trailer endboards.   Ironically in recent years despite the new logos the channels have become more distinct in presentational elements, so this may bring them back together but no reason they can't retain their unique names, logos and idents - though More4 desperately needs new idents and now C4 is green probably a new colour scheme too.

Didn’t E4 Extra just launch with its own identity/ident package? Feels weird they’d scrap it a few months later unless it was designed with the 2023 revamp in mind.
[-] The following 2 users Like David's post:
  • bkman1990, insert_good_username_here