Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present

Anyone fancy being an announcer?

twitter.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, ethanjbrady, insert_good_username_here, JMT1985, lookoutwales

Would this be on the linear channel or the streaming platform though?

Live CA for someone watching on demand would be very interesting!

I'm sure this is for the TV channel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rick's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

(08-04-2024, 06:59 PM)rick Wrote:  Live CA for someone watching on demand would be very interesting!

I'm sure this is for the TV channel.

"Are these announcements going out live?"

"No, Homer. Very few on demand continuity announcements are broadcast live. It's a terrible strain on the announcer's throat."

It’s fallen out of favour now, but back in the day a couple of the streaming services showed a quick blast of an ident from whatever linear channel the programme you’d chosen to watch was originally broadcast on. iPlayer did it for a long time, but 4oD did it for a while too, and even used a continuity announcer to do a generic ‘You’re watching 4oD’ announcement.

IIRC, the announcement was different depending on where you were watching - I certainly recall hearing ‘you’re watching 4oD on Xbox’. I’m not sure why they felt the need to tell you what platform you were watching on, but strangely I still quite liked that they went to some extra effort.

Channel 4 have been using continuity promoting other shows on Channel 4 from a while now, which is a bit annoying TBH compared to a simple sting. Apparently the BBC iPlayer have started trialing the same thing too.

iPlayer used to have pre-roll idents in the early days of the platform, this from 2009 (albeit with wrong branding on some channels)

youtu.be 

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • Stuart

(08-04-2024, 05:56 PM)Joe Wrote:  Would this be on the linear channel or the streaming platform though?

I was… just joking, after pages of discussion about the name…
[-] The following 1 user Likes Joe's post:
  • all new phil

(08-04-2024, 08:36 PM)Critique Wrote:  It’s fallen out of favour now, but back in the day a couple of the streaming services showed a quick blast of an ident from whatever linear channel the programme you’d chosen to watch was originally broadcast on. iPlayer did it for a long time, but 4oD did it for a while too, and even used a continuity announcer to do a generic ‘You’re watching 4oD’ announcement.

IIRC, the announcement was different depending on where you were watching - I certainly recall hearing ‘you’re watching 4oD on Xbox’. I’m not sure why they felt the need to tell you what platform you were watching on, but strangely I still quite liked that they went to some extra effort.

I don't know why we're not seeing more of this to be honest. With more and more content being watched via iPlayer it would be good to have some short idents at the beginning, helps give the service a bit of personality.
[-] The following 2 users Like thomalex's post:
  • fanoftv, Stuart

IIRC 4oD began with their logo then zoomed through the "o" to reveal one of the C4 idents of the time.

All4 had their own idents with sub-versions for each brand. It's a shame C4 don't do the same - the logo moving through the cube and changing g into the E4 logo etc. as appropriate then back to the main C4 logo could work really well, using those animations in the launch package which seemed to be loosely linked to the E4/Film4 identity but I don't think have been seen on screen since.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Josh