Demon Headmaster actor Terrence Hardiman dies aged 86

www.bbc.co.uk 

Although the article says Hardiman was best known as The Demon Headmaster, that wasn't the be all and end all of his performance ability - he also appeared in the Ghandi 1982 film and spent many years with the Royal Shakespeare Company in the 1960s.

His last credited role is as the Headmaster in the 2019 sequel to the original 1990s show, though he had been a guest artist in all manner of things over the years - Doctor Who, The Bill, and five episodes of the CITV incarnation of The Worst Witch.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • bkman1990, Tola

One of the best TV shows of my childhood, this is very sad news.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, DJ Dave

Another day, another death it seems at the moment.

Sad to read about the death of Terrence Hardiman.

I grew up reading all the books and loved the original TV series and the revival a few years ago. There's a couple of books that never got adapted which is a shame - in particular the one featuring Hunky Parker gives off Black Mirror vibes.

I was lucky enough to meet Terrence at Northampton Balloon Festival back in 1999 when he was there doing a meet and greet along with Dave Benson Phillips promoting a musical tour of The Demon Headmaster (which I went and saw, and have a poster of). I was really scared to approach him because of how chilling he was on TV thinking he might hypnotise me but in reality he was really nice and friendly, laughed and signed an autograph and was happy to take a photo.

We do seem to be going through a spate of deaths at the moment, a bit like early 2016 was!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 3 users Like sjames's post:
  • bkman1990, DJ Dave, Gary Baldy

I bought the DVD of the original series and it takes me right back to my childhood every time I watch it!

Whatever happened to Series 2 of the revival?

(09-05-2023, 11:43 AM)Johnr Wrote:  I bought the DVD of the original series and it takes me right back to my childhood every time I watch it!

Whatever happened to Series 2 of the revival?

I've seen comments by Gillian Cross and Emma Reeves, who wrote the screenplay that due to delays caused by Covid the BBC decided not to go ahead with it. A shame as the scripts were all written. The 2019 series was a decent continuation as it had adapted elements of the 'Total Control' book.

Didn't the 2019 version tie into the original by having two of the characters being the kids of Dinah and Rose? Albeit both played by different actresses.

(09-05-2023, 12:05 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Didn't the 2019 version tie into the original by having two of the characters being the kids of Dinah and Rose? Albeit both played by different actresses.

The kids were completely new characters, but Dinah and Rose did make appearances as part of the storyline played as said by different actresses.

One thing I always think about is how it was called The Demon Headmaster but he was actually only headmaster for the first 3 episodes. I think the books were much the same though.

It really was superb and just a sample of the high quality children's drama series produced in the 80s and 90s, whilst since the noughties it feels like kids drama has pretty much begun and end with Tracey Beaker.