What is the future of TV news?

(12-05-2023, 07:29 PM)DTV Wrote:  1 - Why is Sky more outdated than any other news channel? Plus, it has pretty much always been loss making - that's not why it has ever existed and, so long as other Sky operations can cross-subsidise it, I don't see why you'd abandon it - particularly not when it is at the height of its prestige and can now fairly legitimately claim to be the sole dedicated UK news channel. I could see them paring back elements or even a partial consolidation with NBC News, but ditching Sky News outright seems far fetched.

2 - What benefit is there to doing this? Do you envisage a parliament-first or a news-first channel? Is this in addition to the existing World-leaning channel or instead of it?

3 - I find it difficult to see a situation in which Sky News cannot survive but new independent rolling news channels can.

4 - Not impossible, but I don't really see any benefit to them doing this. Having an actual newsgathering operation in place to sustain an actual rolling news channel is quite expensive, even with the cheaper models. Given their existing financial situation, can't see what the investment possibly gets them - especially as it isn't really why people watch them.

5 - Again, not impossible, but other than perhaps an EPG placement for their livestream, I can't really see any developments into being a TV channel, nor any real reason for them to do so.
What I am particularly interested in are the current rumours that Comcast might buy out Warner Bros Discovery. It's very early days - if it happens at all - but if it does, it will ultimately bring CNN under the same umbrella as Sky and NBC. I could see some sort of consolidation between the three networks if this merger comes to pass - perhaps the 'NBC Sky World News' idea might be revived in some form?

Worth noting that none of the French news channels barring BFMTV have ever broken even. In some situations (though probably not in the UK barring GB News & TalkTV), it's more of a prestige thing or an influence factor more than any commercial decision being behind it.

If news channels stay relevant in the political, social, etc... landscape, some will continue even if unprofitable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes matthieu1221's post:
  • Brekkie

I think if we are talking about a new presentation style. The new format being used by CNN News Central shouldnt be discounted. Its quite engaging. And frankly I have found myself watching the programme. I havent watched this many hours of CNN daytime programming in years. I find the format thoughtful, engaging, lively without being tabloid or sensationalist. I think its very adaptable to depending the story being covered. Particularly Breaking News. Im looking forward to the launch of the after NY version from their new newsroom. Could a looser style be more engaging for BBC and Sky? Rather than a boring, soft spoken presenter, who's been bolted to a desk reading a teleprompter for hours on its way out? Seems that way.

Unfortunately (I hate to beat up on the BBC) when the BBC said that reporters will be debriefed or present their stories from the newsroom. I kinda was expecting something more engaging than the monitors shoved in a corner where the reporter is stood there awkwardly framed in the shot, flipping thru a Powerpoint presentation. When compared with CNN News Central its a bit.....leaves a more to be desired. It seems that a more dynamic presenting style is the idea. But not implemented well.

Sadly for SkyNews they seemingly turned off the options for any fresh news presentation styles in this new era. They seem to place emphasis on clean graphics and stuff like that and having a person chained to a desk in a colourless white environment. Thats not sustainable financially. I cant see NBC/Comcast continuing to bankroll this after their guaranteed funding window closes. I dont forsee them shutting it down, but I do see NBC/Comcast having much "louder"say in how the channel is being run. A news channel is a big investment, NBC Comcast also owns SkyTG24 in Italy. I dont know what the ratings look like for that channel. But I think if those European news channels arent adding money to the NBC Comcast bottom line, they will be looked at close by the head honchos. So the future of SkyNews and SkyTG24 may look different.
[-] The following 3 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • Frances, Kojak, matthieu1221

I copied a screencap of a Simpsons episode for an earlier reply mentioning how the show predicted in the US the channels will merge into CNNBCBS as a division of ABC. I didn't realize it would become this thread's thumbnail. I'm very sorry about that. I removed it from that post and then deleted that post but the thumbnail isn't going away. I hope the mods can fix that. Again, I'm so sorry about that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Independent's post:
  • xlalonce

Independent Wrote:I copied a screencap of a Simpsons episode for an earlier reply mentioning how the show predicted in the US the channels will merge into CNNBCBS as a division of ABC. I didn't realize it would become this thread's thumbnail. I'm very sorry about that. I removed it from that post and then deleted that post but the thumbnail isn't going away. I hope the mods can fix that. Again, I'm so sorry about that.

Don't stress - that's by design! Until a suitable image is set by Admin, the latest image posted in a thread will automatically be set as the thumbnail. But we will have to look at the algorithm if that image is deleted Wink

With cinnamon, never chocolate
[-] The following 3 users Like Cappuccino's post:
  • Independent, Stuart, xlalonce

(12-05-2023, 10:31 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  I think if we are talking about a new presentation style. The new format being used by CNN News Central shouldnt be discounted. Its quite engaging. And frankly I have found myself watching the programme. I havent watched this many hours of CNN daytime programming in years. I find the format thoughtful, engaging, lively without being tabloid or sensationalist. I think its very adaptable to depending the story being covered. Particularly Breaking News. Im looking forward to the launch of the after NY version from their new newsroom. Could a looser style be more engaging for BBC and Sky?  Rather than a boring, soft spoken presenter, who's been bolted to a desk reading a teleprompter for hours on its way out? Seems that way.

Unfortunately (I hate to beat up on the BBC) when the BBC said that reporters will be debriefed  or present their stories from the newsroom. I kinda was expecting something more engaging than the monitors shoved in a corner where the reporter is stood there awkwardly framed in the shot, flipping thru a Powerpoint presentation. When compared with CNN News Central its a bit.....leaves a more to be desired. It seems that a more dynamic presenting style is the idea. But not implemented well.

Sadly for SkyNews they seemingly turned off the options for any fresh news presentation styles in this new era. They seem to place emphasis on clean graphics and stuff like that and having a person chained to a desk in a colourless white environment. Thats not sustainable financially. I cant see NBC/Comcast continuing to bankroll this after their guaranteed funding window closes. I dont forsee them shutting it down, but I do see NBC/Comcast having much "louder"say in how the channel is being run. A news channel is a big investment, NBC Comcast also owns SkyTG24 in Italy. I dont know what the ratings look like for that channel. But I think if those European news channels arent adding money to the NBC Comcast bottom line, they will be looked at close by the head honchos. So the future of SkyNews and SkyTG24 may look different.
I wonder how long it will last though. Over at franceinfo: which arguably pioneered something new and engaging back when it launched, they have retreated to mostly being back to a classic desk-based presentation. CNN though has more resources and given how they seem to think the program is a success so far, likely will have little incentive to change it or water down presentation elements to cut costs.