Amazon Prime Video

I mainly use it for the sport which has ads anyway. I watch the odd film on Prime and some of the sporting docs but I'm not sure I've watched any of their original scripted series in their entirity, certainly not enough to avoid the ads for.

Devil will be in the detail I think as how this is going to work. I suspect it'll be like the Disney+ equivalent of a new tier, ie if you pay £130 a year for Prime you don't get the adverts, whereas if you stay on the default package at £95, you get the adverts.

I very much doubt you will get a "partial refund" as mentioned by LondonViewer above as your £95 covers all of the benefits you get with Prime - ie the video, the free delivery, the same day delivery (Royal Mail for example charge £30 for that on its own), the music, the wardrobe, the books, the Prime discounts... They're inclusive in your membership. If you can use them, use them.

Its like saying you want some council tax back because you don't use the leisure centre or the library or the local park. You've paid for those (indirectly) anyway...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Stuart

I don’t see the similarities. They’ve sold an annual subscription to an advert free streaming service. If the service is no longer available then they should offer a cancellation and pro-rata refund.

(29-12-2023, 06:34 PM)LondonViewer Wrote:  I don’t see the similarities. They’ve sold an annual subscription to an advert free streaming service. If the service is no longer available then they should offer a cancellation and pro-rata refund.

Actually nowhere does it say in the Amazon literature that Prime (video) is completely ad-free (the live streams definitely aren't). It just always has been for the library content and you can buy extra stuff/channels through Prime. But you don't get those included and you never have done.

When you pay for Prime, you're usually buying it (by accident or otherwise) when buying something. So its always been seen (and was launched as) free shipping for £x a year, an offer which has had just bells and whistles added over the years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Stuart

Now they are taking away the whistles and charging more to maintain the same service that people are already locked into. Cancellation and partial refund seems like the most likely option.
It’s kinda like paying for an annual TV Licence up front and six months in the BBC start running adverts and don’t offer a refund on the licence. No thanks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LondonViewer's post:
  • chrisdafur

I think if you've subscribed directly to Prime Vidro you have an argument, although suspect the T&Cs probably cover the eventuality. It was annoying when NOW did similar a few years back but in reality it's usually a minute of ads at the beginning then 30 seconds for the breaks.

If you get it via Prime though I think it's spun as a free add on so probably more of a grey area. However my membership just says "Unlimited streaming of Amazon Originals, movies, TV shows, and live sports" without saying they are ad free.

not to mention that the flipside of "cancel anytime" is "change the terms anytime" too.

If you're still within a yearly prime subscription then I think that's a valid complaint, but if you're monthly then the flexibility works both ways.

(29-12-2023, 05:43 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  .

I very much doubt you will get a "partial refund" as mentioned by LondonViewer above as your £95 covers all of the benefits you get with Prime - ie the video, the free delivery, the same day delivery (Royal Mail for example charge £30 for that on its own), the music, the wardrobe, the books, the Prime discounts... They're inclusive in your membership. If you can use them, use them.

Its like saying you want some council tax back because you don't use the leisure centre or the library or the local park. You've paid for those (indirectly) anyway...
Well, turns out that refunds are available for those on annual subscriptions.

I suspect most people won't really be bothered by ads although I wonder if original programming might have to be altered to take ads into accounts.

(03-01-2024, 04:19 PM)XIII Wrote:  I suspect most people won't really be bothered by ads although I wonder if original programming might have to be altered to take ads into accounts.
I think people will be bothered particularly when they’ve not have had to put up with ads on the service before, But probably not enough it makes people re-evaluate their Prime subscriptions. That said having put the price up in the last year or so and people may start questioning what they’re actually paying for.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jon's post:
  • chrisdafur, Gibsy, interestednovice, Nobby, WillPS