Inside No 9: 3 by 3 "schedule change"

I wonder how many people were taken in by this and turned off pretty quickly?

I'm guessing the bit where the other team couldn't think of Eddie Murphy's name and said David Jason was supposedly her telepathically manipulating them? The whole thing was very bizarre.

I think it's one of those whereby if you watch it again knowing the ending you'll notice things in what otherwise seems like a really basic quiz show.

I'm surprised they let it go on so long without anything obvious happening, that's really brave writing. When they did the live episode there were quite a few people who stopped watching when the programme broke down not realising, I bet there were a few tonight.

I didn't twig until I saw it elsewhere but 3x3=9

They even went to the effort of getting a guest star, hiring a bus and making costumes to take publicity photos, making a spoof movie poster and filming some footage for the trailer for the fake episode- that's dedication!

The background to this is that probably to do with so many people suggest 'you should do one on a number 9 bus'

Reece was on Richard Herrings podcast a while ago and went off on a rant about it
youtu.be 

(19-05-2023, 10:45 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I think it's one of those whereby if you watch it again knowing the ending you'll notice things in what otherwise seems like a really basic quiz show.

I'm surprised they let it go on so long without anything obvious happening, that's really brave writing. When they did the live episode there were quite a few people who stopped watching when the programme broke down not realising, I bet there were a few tonight.

I didn't twig until I saw it elsewhere but 3x3=9

I think the tension and weirdness in the family team was noticeable pretty quickly, just pushing beyond where such things would be edited out.

The contrived round titles aren't necessarily too out of place, but it just about hit the point of parody with "3 Point Turn", where the only reference to that name was the answer rotating 3 times.

I really enjoyed it, and I think it got the shades of subtlety just right.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • Brekkie

We know it's a production team who make the effort in getting the details right on this sort of thing, you only have to look at the christmas episode where they went to the effort of getting genuine period cameras and transferring the footage to 1" tape when most shows going for a retro look or even just making it look like something from another genre usually just slap on some often unconvincing filter, if even that, and often still leave the footage 16:9/HD/film look. Even the second series of Look Around You looked too clean and sharp to supposedly be from the early 80s.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Ma76

www.televisual.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bilky asko, Earlie37, Happy2001, RhysJR

The irony is I’d rather have seen their On The Buses-inspired No 9! What a waste of the genuinely-legendary Robin Askwith FFS!

To be honest even as a gameshow it was better than some formats. Certainly a lot more enjoyable than Ridiculous.

I really enjoyed it and personally love their dedication to playing tricks and being mischievous with the format. I don't see anything else around at the moment that plays with format so much at the same time as having such quirkily British sensibilities.

In terms of 'cottoning on' to it being a fake quiz, I think @bilky asko was correct in that the weirdness of the family was just odd enough. All of the actors playing ordinary people had that sort of deliberately slightly off manner about them that was reminiscent of Ghost Watch, and created a lovely slightly unsettling vibe about it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alessi's post:
  • bilky asko, Brekkie