Inside No 9: 3 by 3 "schedule change"

I agree with that – it’s great to see this approach, pushing the format and finding a way to make it work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Joe's post:
  • Alessi

(19-05-2023, 06:52 PM)Joe Wrote:  I agree with that – it’s great to see this approach, pushing the format and finding a way to make it work.
That’s also the thing, if you don’t like it one week, you might like it the next. 

I usually start the episodes not feeling them, and thinking it’s not as good as the last one I’ve watched and end up being hooked by the end.

Considering the amount of uninteresting and non-news TV related articles the tabloids seem to pump out. It doesn’t seem to have generated much press outside of smaller publications.

It’s something the tabloids could play with “Woman’s head EXPLODES on prime time Lee Mack Quiz” and being kinda true for once.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Pips2022

When the mother was in the booth, she was also quite clearly sitting in front of a backdrop of some kind, rather than filming her actually inside a booth (the backdrop was a lot wider than the booth supposedly was for a start). Though admittedly that was probably part of keeping the whole thing feeling a bit off to clue viewers in that it wasn't real.

I think that might have been to do with the angles. It doesn’t look particularly off to me.

(19-05-2023, 06:59 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(19-05-2023, 06:52 PM)Joe Wrote:  I agree with that – it’s great to see this approach, pushing the format and finding a way to make it work.
That’s also the thing, if you don’t like it one week, you might like it the next. 

I usually start the episodes not feeling them, and thinking it’s not as good as the last one I’ve watched and end up being hooked by the end.

Considering the amount of uninteresting and non-news TV related articles the tabloids seem to pump out. It doesn’t seem to have generated much press outside of smaller publications.

It’s something the tabloids could play with “Woman’s head EXPLODES on prime time Lee Mack Quiz” and being kinda true for once.

I'm pleased that didn't happen. There's a lot of people who just don't 'get' this show, and I'm quite happy about that. I think Steve and Reece are too. The leftfield nature is what makes its easter eggs and references work I think.

Seems a bit bizzare that Witchfinder General is today's Wikipedia featuring article, being the question from this episode that she answered before it was even fully asked.

Apparently the Catherine character was sending mind thoughts to the male member of the other team in the semi-final which led to him saying David Jason as he was so sure he knew the answer before she started giving funny looks. It would also explain the exploding head of Catherine's mother.

(19-05-2023, 10:45 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Apparently the Catherine character was sending mind thoughts to the male member of the other team in the semi-final which led to him saying David Jason as he was so sure he knew the answer before she started giving funny looks. It would also explain the exploding head of Catherine's mother.

And the mother's mention of David Jason again in the cubicle, of course, which made it obvious to my mind that was what went on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • London Lite

That was my assumption too, when their minds went blank over what was a quite easy question.

I think the Fur Q thing, as well as being a Chris Morris reference, was meant to be her telepathically saying something that sounds very similar in contempt as well, there's a lot you pick up on when you think about it.

Amusing to see people on social media who still didn't get the prank (and clearly turned off before the end.. unless they thought nothing unusual in someone's head exploding anyway).

I thought it was brilliant - a very convincing 90s daytime quiz show, with a thoroughly unsettling set of contestants being the only tell that something was off.

So many little references and odd points throughout that suddenly become apparent in the last 2 minutes..

Mums a clinical trials manager - is this linked to Catherine's 'abilities'. Why is Dad so weirdly compliant? Constant references to saying what comes to mind, questions about Roald Dahl's telekinetic Matilda and the Witchfinder General.
The biggest weird thing is when Dad says great granny called Rosemary living at home - when the daughter of the family is shaking her head saying no-one else lives there... is she locked up, like they are planning on doing to Catherine 'Fritzl-style'? There were nosebleeds, weird menage-a-trois, minds going blank.

Mum also shouted something out early on whilst someone else was talking - which I didn't get?

Totally playing with the form and standards of television - which no-one does these days other than Shearsmith and Pemberton. Utterly amazing.
[-] The following 2 users Like IndigoTucker's post:
  • Alessi, thePineapple