Disney+

A bit secretly made a few days ago with an app update, and previewed in the promos of the Taylor Swift concert film late last month, but with the official announcement of the integration of Hulu content into the platform (now with watchlists and recommendations), plus the upcoming merger with Star+ in Latin America, Disney+ has officially launched a modified branding scheme with a new colour hue, aurora (in reference to the Sleeping Beauty character and aurora borealis), which is formed from the Disney corporate blue and the Hulu green. There is also new typography, with the modified version of FF Real Text Pro replaced by Articulat CF.

Also in the list of changes, there is a new Disney+ moving logo/curtain raiser for originals and app launches, reportedly designed by Loyalkaspar, and featuring a new sonic logo from Ludwig Göransson (who has done a fair amount of work for the company’s movie franchises, including Star Wars and Marvel Cinematic Universe films), plus a new animation. The Disney+ sonic cue used in all visual communication remains in use.

variety.com 

As for the interface, there is little change, just a font swap from Avenir to the Disney corporate font, InspireTWDC, used mainly for company communications and other Disney-branded content.

variety.com 
Web Image

variety.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medianext.MX's post:
  • RhysJR

Would not be surprised either if this is being done in time for the new (20th) series of Grey's Anatomy dropping tomorrow. That show is consistently the most watched show on Disney+ in the UK, plus the Taylor Swift Eras tour is massive at the moment and is probably bringing lots of eyes to Disney+, so it makes sense to have the rebrand timed for these two fairly big events in the Disney+ calendar.

A massive song and dance is being done at the moment in the US about Grey's as it has just been added to Hulu after a long period of exclusivity to Netflix.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ACTV's post:
  • Medianext.MX

Surely the Star brand is a bit surplus to requirements now that Disney fully own Hulu? I mean, it was only invented (or rather, borrowed from the Indian company) as a brand that Disney+ could use for Hulu and other adult (I give that word it’s ordinary meaning!) content outside of the US because they didn’t fully own Hulu. It has, I think, fairly weak brand recognition outside of India - people would refer to shows being on Disney+ rather than Star.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • Medianext.MX

(28-03-2024, 08:37 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Surely the Star brand is a bit surplus to requirements now that Disney fully own Hulu? I mean, it was only invented (or rather, borrowed from the Indian company) as a brand that Disney+ could use for Hulu and other adult (I give that word it’s ordinary meaning!) content outside of the US because they didn’t fully own Hulu. It has, I think, fairly weak brand recognition outside of India - people would refer to shows being on Disney+ rather than Star.

The problem, to start, is that Disney+ is not a good name for a service that includes adult oriented tv series and (on Latin America) sports from ESPN.
They have a big branding issue and putting Hulu (which doesn`t have branding recognizion outside of USA) instead of Star won`t solve the problem. They should have went with a neutral name like WBD is doing with Max.

They're currently running a campaign based around that juxtaposition - the adult and violent content that you wouldn't expect from Disney+ bring available on Disney+. If you have a brand like that you use it and there is no sign at all including adult content has tarnished the brand at all, though that's part of the reason for the sub brands - though they feel pretty pointless within the app.

Meanwhile WBD leap from one disaster to the next. Disney utilised the value in their historic brands whilst WBD opted to rebrand their home box office service as something generic and bland with no brand value at all. If only they had a respected historic brand of their own which summed up their home box office offerings in say a catchy three letter acronym.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • News Engineer

Or, even more so, brand it with the Warner Brothers name, which has even more prestige than the HBO one. Or at least it did until the disasters of the last few years.

Disney has had non family friendly content for decades and with the 20th Century Fox acquisition, they gained even more.

Disney is a really strong brand it makes sense to use it to sell a service. I get why Max was originally HBO Max but weirdly I think using Warner Bros Discovery as the name for their service since it stands out from the pluses and the Peacocks.

(29-03-2024, 12:17 AM)XIII Wrote:  Disney has had non family friendly content for decades and with the 20th Century Fox acquisition, they gained even more.

Though to be fair, not under the Disney name itself. They intentionally set up the Touchstone label in the 80s so that their non-family content wouldn't be Disney branded- I'm pretty sure most people didn't even know Touchstone was Disney. It took until 2003 and Pirates Of The Carribean for anything with the Disney name to get a higher rating than PG (and until 1979 for them to even make anything PG!). And even then you could argue that Pirates still isn't that family unfriendly despite that.

Not to mention Disney was one of the leading producers of primetime network television back in the 90s and 00s with Touchstone Television - who made the bulk of ABC's programmes as well as some for other networks (Criminal Minds for CBS and Scrubs for NBC before moving to ABC for the final season), before they rebranded it under the ABC brand in 2007.

Despite the name change, one of ABC Signature's (as it is known now) longest running current productions is The Amazing Race on CBS.

(27-03-2024, 09:02 PM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  Also in the list of changes, there is a new Disney+ moving logo/curtain raiser for originals and app launches, reportedly designed by Loyalkaspar, and featuring a new sonic logo from Ludwig Göransson (who has done a fair amount of work for the company’s movie franchises, including Star Wars and Marvel Cinematic Universe films), plus a new animation. The Disney+ sonic cue used in all visual communication remains in use.

variety.com 

I like it and it’s very much an improvement on the current tune before Originals, however it seems to be a variant on the Hulu Originals ident, which wouldn’t be surprise me given the recent addition of Hulu within Disney+ in the US.

youtu.be 

Generally from my experience if Hulu has been mentioned in conversation very few people I’ve spoken to are aware it’s owned (or formerly majority owned) by Disney, but neither do people refer to Star being within Disney+.