Thread Closed

Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect

(20-05-2023, 03:17 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Yes. Whilst his departure - in some form or another - is  not surprising, I at least expected he’d stay on until the end of the current session and leave at the summer break, with a send off.

It was quite strange to see this story being read out now as “Breaking News” on BBC (World) News.

Vast majority of world viewers will be scratching their heads…..

Wow, like you I felt he would go in the Summer. Holly’s statement wasn’t as warm as it could have been. She makes no reference to their friendship.

Full set of formal statements from Phil, Holly and Kevin Lygo

twitter.com 

We’ll soon find out but if someone resigns on a Saturday afternoon it’s often because a story is about to run in the Sunday papers.
[-] The following 7 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, fatal paper cut, Jeff, Stuart, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(20-05-2023, 03:15 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  Quite remarkable and brutal that he doesn’t get to say goodbye on the programme. This definitely feels like a developing story
Yes, but I also think a goodbye on the programme would have been very awkward considering no one is supposed to actually get on with him.

You’d imagine they’d be trying things out until at least after the summer break.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • UTVLifer

This also now means, this morning can have a clean break for its 35th Anniversary in October
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • DeMarkay

How ITV itself is reporting the news:

www.itv.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dadeki's post:
  • UTVLifer

A shame he didn't even get to say goodbye to the show while it's on air.

A true icon of This Morning for so long, it will feel weird Holly having to present without him - but given the recent news, I knew this day would come eventually.

Thank you Philip for everything you've done to This Morning's long history. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like TVenthusiasm's post:
  • Si-Co, TravisM

(20-05-2023, 03:15 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  Quite remarkable and brutal that he doesn’t get to say goodbye on the programme. This definitely feels like a developing story

They already dedicated an episode to his coming out, which was weird enough. I think just leaving quietly is a good idea.
[-] The following 2 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • TJTSW, Yorksman

(20-05-2023, 03:22 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  
(20-05-2023, 03:17 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Yes. Whilst his departure - in some form or another - is  not surprising, I at least expected he’d stay on until the end of the current session and leave at the summer break, with a send off.

It was quite strange to see this story being read out now as “Breaking News” on BBC (World) News.

Vast majority of world viewers will be scratching their heads…..

Wow, like you I felt he would go in the Summer. Holly’s statement wasn’t as warm as it could have been. She makes no reference to their friendship.
Phillip’s statement didn’t make reference to Holly at all!
[-] The following 2 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • AJB39, UTVLifer

Will be interesting to see how long it takes for a permanent replacement to be announced. Unless they decide to do a GMB and have a permanent rotation of co-presenter for Holly
Thread Closed