Thread Closed

Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect

(20-05-2023, 03:24 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  We’ll soon find but if someone resigns on a Saturday afternoon it’s often because a story is about to run in the Sunday papers.

It is worth pointing out that, in his statement, he still expects to be hosting the Soap Awards. If there is a story on the way, I'd assume it's not as damaging as some would expect, unless Phil is being naive/misleading.

I simply refuse to believe, however, that the man would leave purely because the papers are suggesting him and Holly aren't close anymore, especially with immediate effect. As has been suggested in this thread already, there's definitely more to this story... without saying it's in anyway defamatory towards Phillip Schofield, in the interests of not upsetting certain fellow forum users.
[-] The following 9 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, DeMarkay, iloveTV1, Kojak, London Lite, PERMOTIO, sjames, UTVLifer

Now onto the speculation as to who will replace him… This might be controversial but I think Stephen Mulhern would be a safe pair of hands to work with Holly. Especially after the pair spent so long together back in the days of CITV. They have genuine chemistry and he is very experienced for working on live TV programmes. I know the most obvious thing to do would be to move Dermot into Phil’s spot but I’m still not quite sure he’s right for the programme even when he’s with Alison.
[-] The following 4 users Like brioalex's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, DJ Dave, lepeterrr

Apparently he hasn’t been dropped from peak time programme, he’ll present the Soap Awards and he has new project coming up. Not sure if the latter will happen. But really can’t see him hosting Dancing on Ice with Holly, perhaps a presenter change up is also needed for that show.

(20-05-2023, 03:35 PM)brioalex Wrote:  Now onto the speculation as to who will replace him… This might be controversial but I think Stephen Mulhern would be a safe pair of hands to work with Holly. Especially after the pair spent so long together back in the days of CITV. They have genuine chemistry and he is very experienced for working on live TV programmes. I know the most obvious thing to do would be to move Dermot into Phil’s spot but I’m still not quite sure he’s right for the programme even when he’s with Alison.
I can’t see Mulhern doing it full time. For a start it would just look like they were trying to make him the new Philip Schofield with their similar backgrounds. I also think it would make it difficult for him to keep his less serious persona which we see on other shows.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • AJB39, TJTSW, UTVLifer

Surprised to see this. I was hoping Phil would see it through and carry on regardless. Obviously will wait and see what happens over the coming days, but it feels at the moment that he's been forced out by the press. They seem to have had it in for him since queue-gate last year.

I've never really understood the hatred for Phil, having grown up with him appearing on kids TV and seeing him in Joseph and Dr Doolittle back in the day, he is a talented presenter. Obviously if the rumours hinted at elsewhere here are true, that paints a different picture, but I've not seen any concrete evidence of any wrongdoing, unlike what we've seen with his brother.

I notice the statements seem to suggest he'll still be presenting programmes on ITV, unlike when the John Barrowman stories came out about his antics behind the scenes, it seemed to effectively end his TV career.
[-] The following 3 users Like sjames's post:
  • AndrewP, benzj, Stooky Bill

A reminder that just yesterday Phillip's brother Timothy was jailed for 12 years for sexually abusing a boy. The timing of this announcement seems quite suspect to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dadeki's post:
  • CATV

Jake Humphrey to replace him is my guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reith85's post:
  • DeMarkay

Holly has taken an early half-term break, so that's a fortnight of Alison and Dermot

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • Brekkie

(20-05-2023, 03:39 PM)sjames Wrote:  I notice the statements seem to suggest he'll still be presenting programmes on ITV, unlike when the John Barrowman stories came out about his antics behind the scenes, it seemed to effectively end his TV career.
Don’t forget I’m sure they said Jeremy Kyle would be staying with ITV when his programme ended. Long term I can’t see ITV using him much.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jon's post:
  • AndrewP, Pips2022, sjames, UTVLifer

(20-05-2023, 03:35 PM)brioalex Wrote:  Now onto the speculation as to who will replace him… This might be controversial but I think Stephen Mulhern would be a safe pair of hands to work with Holly. Especially after the pair spent so long together back in the days of CITV. They have genuine chemistry and he is very experienced for working on live TV programmes. I know the most obvious thing to do would be to move Dermot into Phil’s spot but I’m still not quite sure he’s right for the programme even when he’s with Alison.

I'm surprised Steve Wilson hasn't ever taken a lead role on the show considering he used to Live & Kicking/CBBC back in the day, and also did a series with Holly called Feel the Fear.
[-] The following 2 users Like sjames's post:
  • brioalex, DeMarkay

Wow didn't expect that. I for one did not believe the rumours, but I guess there must have been some fact. The fact that Phil's statement doesn't mention Holly at all & that Holly doesn't reference their friendship is telling.  Such a shame as I always found them a fantastic duo. I hope on Mondays show when they announce the news they at least show a highlights package. They can't just ignore 20-odd years of service to the show.

In terms of a replacement, Mulhern seems a bit too OTT for Thir Morning. I could see him replacing Phil on DOI but not This Morning. On This morning, what about an Allison & Holly pairing, with Josie replacing Alison on Fridays?
[-] The following 4 users Like TravisM's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, DeMarkay, Jayesyn
Thread Closed