Thread Closed

Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect

(20-05-2023, 03:43 PM)TravisM Wrote:  Wow didn't expect that. I for one did not believe the rumours, but I guess there must have been some fact. The fact that Phil's statement doesn't mention Holly at all & that Holly doesn't reference their friendship is telling.  Such a shame as I always found them a fantastic duo. I hope on Mondays show when they announce the news they at least show a highlights package. They can't just ignore 20-odd years of service to the show.

In terms of a replacement, Mulhern seems a bit too OTT for Thir Morning. I could see him replacing Phil on DOI but not This Morning. On This morning, what about an Allison & Holly pairing, with Josie replacing Alison on Fridays?
I personally don't think Alison would do 4 days a week, we could possibly go down the route of more split presenting and scheduling similar to how they do on GMB currently.

ITV press centre release:
www.itv.com 

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(20-05-2023, 03:40 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Holly has taken an early half-term break, so that's a fortnight of Alison and Dermot

twitter.com 

Not surprising. It would have been very awkward to host the show next week. Taking a couple of weeks out of the limelight is the right decision.
[-] The following 3 users Like AJB39's post:
  • AndrewP, DeMarkay, UTVLifer

It seems to be the most sensible strategy to let Phil go today, rest Holly for 2 weeks and then return with Holly + stand ins until the summer break, then relaunch in September.
[-] The following 7 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, DeMarkay, JamesWorldNews, Roger Darthwell, TJTSW, UTVLifer

After more than 20 years of hosting This Morning.......what an awful awful way to end this long tenure
[-] The following 10 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • AJB39, Alessi, AndrewP, CATV, DeMarkay, Jayesyn, L1_, Pips2022, sjames, TravisM

The ITV Press Release hints at Holly being paired with various other members of the “family”.

I think a non-fixed line up would be a good idea. Holly being the main presenter, but not necessarily appearing every day and not with the same co-presenter. A bit of Loose Women rotation-style would be good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesWorldNews's post:
  • DeMarkay

Wow, very surprising, I wish Philip the best. 
I’d like to throw Ben Shepherd’s name in, he’s filled in for Philip before, has great chemistry with Holly and viewers already know him. It’d be seen as a stable and calming move from my perspective.
[-] The following 4 users Like Rogo23's post:
  • fanoftv, Jayesyn, PERMOTIO, watchingtv

The Sunday newspapers often have exclusive stories and this happened on a Saturday.....

He should have left a long time ago. Left on a high. Instead he's carried on and on until he's thrown his own and nearly the show's reputation in the gutter amongst the general public.

Could it be a mere coincidence that Jake Humphrey has quit BT Sport after 10 years yesterday?
[-] The following 3 users Like RDJ's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, watchingtv

(20-05-2023, 03:52 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  The ITV Press Release hints at Holly being paired with various other members of the “family”.

I think a non-fixed line up would be a good idea. Holly being the main presenter, but not necessarily appearing every day and not with the same co-presenter. A bit of Loose Women rotation-style would be good.
I imagine the "co-present with members of the This Morning family" will last until at least September. It's a convenient way of trying out potential new pairings and presenters, without that person being seen as the direct replacement. If the guest presenter or pairing doesn't work well then they can claim it's a one-off / short-term thing.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • AJB39, bilky asko
Thread Closed