Thread Closed

Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect

(01-06-2023, 06:07 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  This Morning will likely survive as a brand because any replacement will likely be the same show from largely the same team under a different name

Wouldnt that be exactly what ITV would want? The brand is tarnished beyond repair and there'd be a simple way to end it using many of the same team?

The idea that ITV will scrap the entire daytime lineup is borderline insane given that none of the other shows are involved in this.

I agree with Brekkie that This Morning will likely survive as a brand as the replacement show would just be the same show rebranded
[-] The following 2 users Like XIII's post:
  • DJ Dave, UTVLifer

(01-06-2023, 06:34 PM)Lester Wrote:  Wouldnt that be exactly what ITV would want? The brand is tarnished beyond repair and there'd be a simple way to end it using many of the same team?
I don’t think it’s tarnished beyond repair, the brand is partly whoever presents it at the time.

I also disagree with those saying Holly should leave to save her career. Her best way to move on is staying on the show, that way I think she’ll be more likely to pick up primetime gigs in the future. If she quits This Morning now, her career would likely go the same way as Fern Britton or Anthea Turner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • UTVLifer

They won’t axe This Morning

You’d either have all the existing on screen team hosting a new programme that is exactly the same meaning the people who think it’s tarnished would still think it’s tarnished, many of these aren’t viewers anyway

Or you start a new programme and deliberately don’t use any current hosts, so Dermot, Alison, Josie, all the chefs, contributors, experts etc are all out, and viewers complain as they liked many of those hosts

GMTV to Daybreak springs to mind - viewers were happy when Ben, Kate, Andrew, Penny etc all left.
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • UTVLifer, XIII

(01-06-2023, 06:41 PM)Andrew Wrote:  They won’t axe This Morning

You’d either have all the existing on screen team hosting a new programme that is exactly the same meaning the people who think it’s tarnished would still think it’s tarnished, many of these aren’t viewers anyway

Or you start a new programme and deliberately don’t use any current hosts, so Dermot, Alison, Josie, all the chefs, contributors, experts etc are all out, and viewers complain as they liked many of those hosts

GMTV to Daybreak springs to mind - viewers were happy when Ben, Kate, Andrew, Penny etc all left.

Kate moved to Daybreak IIRC as Entertainment Editor then ended up hosting the programme for a while. I think ITV realised their mistake hence why Ben was asked to joined GMB. 

ITV's mistake with Daybreak was essentially trying to do The One Show in the morning whereas GMB was successful in crafting its own identity eventually.

Any replacement for This Morning would end up using a lot of the same people anyway because the pool of contributors, chefs etc is limited.

(01-06-2023, 06:34 PM)Lester Wrote:  Wouldnt that be exactly what ITV would want? The brand is tarnished beyond repair and there'd be a simple way to end it using many of the same team?
It's a flagship brand though - you don't throw away 35 years on a whim.   It's probably one of the most commercially important brands to them - which I guess plays to both sides of the argument but it's likely easier to repair the brand than build up a new one.  

In the short term at least you give it a chance to do that - and then if a year down the line it's clearly still impacted that would be the time to re-evaluate things and put a bit of distance between it's current issues and any new brand.

(01-06-2023, 06:22 PM)Jon Wrote:  How did that work, surely that risked contempt of court? Or was it completely factual reporting on the arguments of the case like Alex Belfield claimed to give on his case.
It was really very light touch. He would come on the day after an appearance and say “for those wondering…it’s been adjourned for another few weeks”. And similar.

When the actual trial started, he wasn’t on air (obviously) so there was nothing that could be contempt.

They should take it off for the summer like they used to. Give the brand and series a nice wee rest. Maybe if they short of ideas have Cooking show on at 10am, 11am have live programme from Edinburgh fringe, lots of new acts they could speak to there.
[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • London Lite, Spencer

(01-06-2023, 07:58 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  They should take it off for the summer like they used to.  Give the brand and series a nice wee rest.  Maybe if they short of ideas have Cooking show on at 10am, 11am have live programme from Edinburgh fringe, lots of new acts they could speak to there.

The chances of having anything from the Fringe are zero. 

Most people don't want This Morning axed, even people who criticised the behind the scenes culture like Dr Ranj loved working on it, this is more a clear out the people in charge and replace them with new people.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • JosiahStuart

I imagine the producers and ITV's first concern will be getting the show through with Holly to the summer break.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the autumn there isn't a noticeable refresh to the set and titles. I'd be fairly confident if the programme surviving, even if there's a change of some staff behind the cameras.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • DJ Dave, UTVLifer
Thread Closed