Thread Closed

Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect

This time next year, This Morning will still be going strong, Philip Schofield will be a regular on Steph's Packed Lunch and the press will go back to attacking the BBC.

Prove me wrong.

They were probably due a refresh anyway, the current logo is eight years old, the second longest running after the one used in the 90s (which lasted about 11 years).
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • UTVLifer

(01-06-2023, 08:20 PM)Nobby Wrote:  This time next year, This Morning will still be going strong, Philip Schofield will be a regular on Steph's Packed Lunch and the press will go back to attacking the BBC.

Prove me wrong.

Not entirely sure how anyone here can prove you right, wrong or otherwise?

For those saying any replacement would just be the same programme… The Sun on Sunday is pretty much the same newspaper as the News of the World. Not that I think This Morning is going to be axed, but it’s certainly not without precedent. 

Agree on the need for a Summer rest. Get something younger skewing on to pull in the school kids, presented by someone like AJ Odudu, I’ve always thought they need to change it up in school holidays (and periods of lockdown!) given the audience mix changes.

all new phil Wrote:Not entirely sure how anyone here can prove you right, wrong or otherwise?

For those saying any replacement would just be the same programme… The Sun on Sunday is pretty much the same newspaper as the News of the World. Not that I think This Morning is going to be axed, but it’s certainly not without precedent. 

Agree on the need for a Summer rest. Get something younger skewing on to pull in the school kids, presented by someone like AJ Odudu, I’ve always thought they need to change it up in school holidays (and periods of lockdown!) given the audience mix changes.

It wouldn’t give the ITV Daytime production team a time to reset if they were then expected to make a completely new summer filler show

And they wouldn’t get an external production company to come up with a 30 episode commission at such short notice

If they took off This Morning over the summer, it’ll be repeats filling the gap at least for 2 hours of the 2h30

How about repeats of gameshow and cheap film?

Maybe they will rebrand 'This Morning' as 'ITV Daytime' but it'd essentially still be the exact same thing.

Almost like reopening another This Morning forum thread and just rebranding it as an ITV Daytime thread! Wink

TV Whirl - Since 2001
[-] The following 2 users Like TesTVWhirl's post:
  • AJB39, Nobby

(01-06-2023, 08:07 PM)Keith Wrote:  I imagine the producers and ITV's first concern will be getting the show through with Holly to the summer break.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the autumn there isn't a noticeable refresh to the set and titles. I'd be fairly confident if the programme surviving, even if there's a change of some staff behind the cameras.

Yeah, one would imagine that the immediate priority will be keeping the show on the road for the 6 or so weeks between Holly's return and her summer break, whilst also keeping one eye on the autumn.

Not to get back into the tabloidy gossip but over the weekend there was a report in one of the papers that it'll likely be a 'rolling rota' for co-hosts for Holly similar to GMB come September, which makes sense in the short-term probably until the new year, by which time I'd expect permanent replacement for Philip to be in place. And then I'd agree with you that I reckon they'll be a noticeable refresh to the set, titles and logo

(01-06-2023, 04:55 PM)Lester Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if ITV bin This Morning and Lorraine and just have GMB on all morning but with different hosts à la NBC and ABC in the states. The 3 brands have so much overlap now anyway. There's barely any difference apart from phone-ins and cookery.
You’d be surprised, also, at how many people get GMB and This Morning mixed up. The brands are too similar and I think ITV could do with making the whole thing more cohesive. 

In what is not at all a fantasy schedule, i would keep GMB as is from 6-9. Lorraine could stay if she must (or maybe call it GMB with Lorraine) and then from 10-12.30, let’s have ‘GMB Extra’ (which would essentially be This Morning in all but name). Loose Women then stays at 12.30. (In an ideal world I’d like the news to move back to 12.30, but suspect ITV would be much less keen)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Studio7's post:
  • UTVLifer

Studio7 Wrote:You’d be surprised, also, at how many people get GMB and This Morning mixed up. The brands are too similar and I think ITV could do with making the whole thing more cohesive. 
I heard someone on a bus over the weekend talking about Phillip leaving GMTV
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Larry the Loafer, Studio7, UTVLifer

(01-06-2023, 10:34 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  You’d be surprised, also, at how many people get GMB and This Morning mixed up. The brands are too similar and I think ITV could do with making the whole thing more cohesive. 

In what is not at all a fantasy schedule, i would keep GMB as is from 6-9. Lorraine could stay if she must (or maybe call it GMB with Lorraine) and then from 10-12.30, let’s have ‘GMB Extra’ (which would essentially be This Morning in all but name). Loose Women then stays at 12.30. (In an ideal world I’d like the news to move back to 12.30, but suspect ITV would be much less keen)

That's not going to happen like ever. Look at how Jeremy Vine became three different programmes to see how GMB with Lorraine and GMB Extra are not going to be reality.
Thread Closed