C4 Programme Commissioning Woes

(18-04-2024, 03:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well they are the people who can instigate change at the top level. I believe a board can vote to strip them of their roles but not to remove them from the board. There could be an argument for a member of PACT to have a place on the board but also an argument that might be a conflict of interests.

Channel 4, whether talking about the channel, the streamer or the company as a whole, just feels directionless at the moment and failing to capitalise on the changing TV landscape in a way they seemed to be adapting too quite well just a few years back.

I think that's true in a commercial organisation like say Disney but for a not for profit organisation like Channel 4, I'm not sure they have that sort of power.

(18-04-2024, 01:34 PM)gottago Wrote:  95% of the industry have felt like this for at least 5 years. The other 5% are the Studio Lamberts and the other narrow few who keep getting anything and everything away with the channel.

Though Channel 4 have also axed and deferred on/delayed shows made by these companies so everything is not hunky dory.

If there was a breakdown of who makes what for each broadcaster, patterns would emerge and biases could (would) be alleged. Of course, why C4 are being beaten with this particular stick is because other channels have had hits in recent times whilst C4 haven't. Laughably and also pathetically, there's an insistence from some people that C4 should keep certain shows made by certain companies just so criticism can be prolonged.

People have had their identities protected with regards to their comments about C4 (the usual "senior figure" guff), which is fair enough in those contexts, but others (whom could be regarded as "senior figures" but in truth aren't) have been stupid in venting their frustrations publicly.

I see looking at next week's listings Love Triangle - E4's new MAFS style show - is also airing each night on C4 (the channel), just an hour apart for the premiere then at 11pm.

Sadly the fourth series of The Windsors has now been postponed indefinitely due to the cancer diagnosis of the King and Kate Middleton.

www.comedy.co.uk 

Wouldn't want to be seen as making fun of the sick. Plus I see the article says Camilla's actor has died. Right decision.

Rumour doing the rounds that Scrapheap Challenge is to be rebooted. Not that it would be a great saviour to reverse Channel 4's fortunes but it's better than the current slate of programmes and those that have been announced as axed recently (Alone etc). That of course is if it ends up back on C4.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • lookoutwales

In fairness, he would never have made it as a Channel 4 executive.

twitter.com 

And in defence of Channel 4, that does sound like something not too distant from a Channel 5 commission, and they don't have the same tag of a struggling broadcaster.

tv24.co.uk 

Ironic given the usual memes there are about Wetherspoons.

(20-04-2024, 08:50 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  In fairness, he would never have made it as a Channel 4 executive.

twitter.com 

And in defence of Channel 4, that does sound like something not too distant from a Channel 5 commission, and they don't have the same tag of a struggling broadcaster.

www.channel5.com 
Why am I being taken to channel5.com/geo-restriction.html instead of your intended link? I'm in the UK!
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • RhysJR

(20-04-2024, 08:57 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Why am I being taken to channel5.com/geo-restriction.html instead of your intended link? I'm in the UK!

Weird, I have been using VPNs during the day but was not when posting that link. I just tried posting again on a different device and same issue. It was a link to the My5 webpage for 'Aldi v Harrods: Who Does Christmas Better?' - the programme is not available, so maybe that's why there's an issue. I've replaced it with a different link of a programme description of said programme.

tv24.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • JAS84