C4 Programme Commissioning Woes

(05-06-2023, 10:57 AM)Jon Wrote:  I did think at the time England games was a way of endearing Channel 4 of offering public service at the time there was talk of the government privatising the channel. The same with some the events they’ve sub-licensed off other broadcasters.

I guess it’ll also help Channel 4 when they start to make some of their own programmes too.

In the case of England games, not that much as whatever else is commissioned appeals to completely different audiences.

The latest shows to be hit are Kirstie's Homemade Christmas which has been "paused" for this year and The Last Leg has been reduced by two episodes this series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gottago's post:
  • Happy2001

Both sensible calls - the Kirsty shows are very similar annually so they can get away with a repeat. The Last Leg needs to lose episodes anyhow.

The Last Leg is one of the most stable Friday night shows on Channel 4 - it pulls in over a million viewers on the night and yes, they need a kick up the arse in terms of production, but it is very reliable.

The Last Leg has become for Channel 4, what Have I Got News For You is for the BBC - both shows have a lost a bit of their bite, but are stable shows, which is what the public want.
[-] The following 4 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • DeMarkay, Jeff, NickyBoy, UTVLifer

(07-06-2023, 04:30 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The Last Leg has become for Channel 4, what Have I Got News For You is for the BBC - both shows have a lost a bit of their bite, but are stable shows, which is what the public want.

Thinking on about the problem for shows like The Last Leg and Have I Got News For You is that when news and in particular politics took on the realms of populism and self referential clap trap. The idea of shows like the aforementioned trying to do satire paled into comparison.

If politics can sort itself out - in other words, get out of populism, et. al. - then said shows can get back the verve that they were known for.

Rise and Fall wasn't awful, but probably too long a series, I found it when it was about half way through and it was a bit of a slog on catch up.

The production was very similar to The Circle in places, the slomo corridor walks for example, which I have to say I would have preferred another UK series of.

Incidentally they seem to have a series of Cats does Countdown in the can with Anne-Marie in for Rachel. They've shown one episode and then gone back to repeats.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Brekkie

(07-06-2023, 04:07 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Both sensible calls - the Kirsty shows are very similar annually so they can get away with a repeat. The Last Leg needs to lose episodes anyhow.

Not if you are a Kirsty show fan. It's like saying instead of showing the FA Cup finallive next year let's show a repeat of this years.

The problem for Rise and Fall was that it was a nightly show - all of these nightly shows always lose viewers and viewer's attention especially if they are on for a long run.

It might have helped if it was placed as a weekend show, airing Friday, Saturday and Sunday for a few weeks as an alternative.

(10-06-2023, 11:00 AM)EJnutz Wrote:  Not if you are a Kirsty show fan. It's like saying instead of showing the FA Cup finallive next year let's show a repeat of this years.
Well maybe if you’re a really big fan. I imagine it’s the sort of the programme people watch if they happen to be in and it’s the best thing to watch at the time: I’m sure a lot of people watching would realise it’s a repeat if they show from a few years previous. 

The value in watching live sport for the vast majority of the audience is not knowing the outcome and in this case of highlights it’s relevance to current season.

(10-06-2023, 12:50 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The problem for Rise and Fall was that it was a nightly show - all of these nightly shows always lose viewers and viewer's attention especially if they are on for a long run.

It might have helped if it was placed as a weekend show, airing Friday, Saturday and Sunday for a few weeks as an alternative.

I think ultimately as much as I miss C4 being strong at 10pm shows just don't play out as well at 10pm as they did 20 years ago, and ultimately an expensive format like this will struggle to find a big enough audience to pay for itself airing nightly at 10pm as opposed to 9pm.   It would have been smart to release the episodes earlier in the evening on All4 as well.