C4 Programme Commissioning Woes

Well Channel 4 take chances, and now have learnt a lesson from Rise and Fall about when and where to place these new shows.

I do like Channel 4 to be the place for comedy on a Friday night - I see I Literally Just Told has been recommissioned for another series, and I love that show on a 10pm Friday night slot.

When people are sick and tired of news at 10pm, Channel 4 has the opportunity to offer an alternative - I wish they would also air some new stand up shows from comedians, instead of acts from 2012, 2013 etc. I like seeing new stand up comedy, and the 11pm slot on Friday nights would be perfect.

I think people being sick and tired of news is why The Last Leg has suffered over the last 18 months or so, although it would have been great to have it on last night.

Glad I Literally Just Told You is getting another run, though they need to go back to just having the two question setters in the studio. Jimmy had quite a rapport building with them in S1 so losing that element with the changes made in S2 was pretty dumb.

(10-06-2023, 06:12 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think people being sick and tired of news is why The Last Leg has suffered over the last 18 months or so, although it would have been great to have it on last night.

Glad I Literally Just Told You is getting another run, though they need to go back to just having the two question setters in the studio.  Jimmy had quite a rapport building with them in S1 so losing that element with the changes made in S2 was pretty dumb.
Please remember Series 1 was recorded under Covid restrictions, and so there had to be fewer people in the studio. Series 2 was recorded with no restrictions, so they thought they could change it a little.

(10-06-2023, 06:12 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think people being sick and tired of news is why The Last Leg has suffered over the last 18 months or so, although it would have been great to have it on last night.

Glad I Literally Just Told You is getting another run, though they need to go back to just having the two question setters in the studio.  Jimmy had quite a rapport building with them in S1 so losing that element with the changes made in S2 was pretty dumb.
Well presumably they made the change ans it was easier to set interesting questions with 4 of them. Of course they could have some off screen? But I’ve never really thought the relationship with the question setter was that important on that show compared to say that of the host and Alex Horne on Taskmaster or the host and the person playing Richard Osman on Pointless.

Channel 4 has felt a bit naff of late. The last thing I actually tuned in to watch was Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, but nothing that is airing really captures my attention.

What I would focus on is improving the Channel 4 afternoon schedule. Between Packed Lunch and Simpsons. Daytime Channel 4 is pretty weak overall, but I can forgive the mid morning stuff.

What Channel 4 would do good to have is a Teatime quiz, against the likes of Tipping Point/The Chase and Pointless. A new format would likely do well.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • TJTSW

No it wouldn't, having a gameshow at 5pm isn't providing an alternative. There's a reason Countdown is now shown at 2.15pm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • LondonViewer

(10-06-2023, 06:40 PM)Jon Wrote:  Well presumably they made the change ans it was easier to set interesting questions with 4 of them. Of course they could have some off screen? But I’ve never really thought the relationship with the question setter was that important on that show compared to say that of the host and Alex Horne on Taskmaster or the host and the person playing Richard Osman on Pointless.
The additional ones though felt like extras and were barely talked too.

(10-06-2023, 06:43 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  No it wouldn't, having a gameshow at 5pm isn't providing an alternative. There's a reason Countdown is now shown at 2.15pm.
Exactly - and they've tried a few at 3/4/5pm in recent years which just didn't stick.   

I'd have said going back to a talk format at 5pm would be an idea but with Packed Lunch covering that base earlier in the day it's unlikely to happen.   They seem happy enough with their Four in a Bed / Come Dine with Me style shows even if they're not exactly worrying the ratings.   Unlike a live talk show though they have great repeat value and even if not doing the job at 5.30pm on first airing they probably are when repeated in the afternoons multiple times later.

(10-06-2023, 12:50 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The problem for Rise and Fall was that it was a nightly show - all of these nightly shows always lose viewers and viewer's attention especially if they are on for a long run.

Eh?

Channel 4 tried a game show for daytime, Moneybags, and after two series it seems it has been "shelved" by Channel 4
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • Kunst, TJTSW

I don't think C4 have launched a successful daytime gameshow since Deal or No Deal. Win My Wage, Benchmark, 5 Minutes to a Fortune and The Answer Trap all failed to get past a first series whilst Moneybags made it to two - I enjoyed the first series but the second just didn't seem to hit the mark sadly. They also did do three series of the £100k drop over 2018/19.

There hasn't really been much more success in primetime although Claudia Winkleman's One Question is returning this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer