Cheerio to Charlie Fairhead (Casualty)

Casualty like Holby did has 98% of mass produced stodge, and then at least two episodes a year of pure drama.

I understand why they produce Casualty with at least a 48 week run to cut on costs, but if you compare S1 to the soapy stuff they do now, it's nowhere as good.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • PWD, Reith85

Even though I've seen these episodes before (though admittedly not for 20 years), I'd forgotten Baz left after the first series, as I remember her being in the show when I was watching in the 90s.

Being incredibly geeky picking up on the change to the sets between the first and second series, somewhere that was a seating area in series 1 became a corridor with a lift in the second series.

Admittedly it's incredibly minor compared to how many times the layout's changed beyond recognition in the years since, even without a disaster of some sort to justify it.

(22-06-2023, 10:02 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Being incredibly geeky picking up on the change to the sets between the first and second series, somewhere that was a seating area in series 1 became a corridor with a lift in the second series.

Admittedly it's incredibly minor compared to how many times the layout's changed beyond recognition in the years since, even without a disaster of some sort to justify it.

It must be the the hospital that's had the most money spent on it in NHS history! It always looks immaculate too. Never any scuff marks on the walls and floors, broken fixtures and fittings and every light appears to work. If I'm every in need of an ambulance, I shall ask to be taken direct to Holby City hospital. 

Though admittedly no-one ever appears to need to give notice when they decide mid shift that they've had enough so I may find my treatment hit and miss.

(22-06-2023, 11:00 AM)Alf Stewart Wrote:   It always looks immaculate too. Never any scuff marks on the walls and floors, broken fixtures and fittings and every light appears to work.

To be fair, that's not the case in these early episodes, it does look quite dirty and run down, and many bits look like they haven't been upgraded since the 60s.

Obviously in the years since it's become the shiniest hospital in the country.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Reith85

Sorry, yes. I did of course mean more recently.

Back in the 80s, pretty much until paramedic Jeff petrol bombed it at the end of series 7, it was a dump, but pretty accurately reflected hospitals of that time.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alf Stewart's post:
  • London Lite, Reith85

I'd argue being a dump would accurately represent hospitals of the 2020s too.

I don't remember the series 7 one (though I would only have been 6 when it was broadcast, and I've never seen that series repeated), but I do remember it being blown up at the end of series 9. That hospital's had a ridiculous amount of disasters as well as refurbishments.

I guess that just depends on your local hospital. Mines fairly ''new'' so is in decent nick. Maybe that clouds my view

Admittedly the last time I went into a hospital was on Christmas day 2016 when my mum had an asthma attack... not how I planned to spend my Christmas evening.

First sighting of the upstairs floor above the reception on the episode I'm currently watching (Series 2, episode 5), I guess they were able to put those sort of details in once they had a permanent set in Bristol, and probably with more space than they had at TV Centre (where I also imagine they were building and dismantling the set every week).