Network Distribution reportedly in liquidation

(11-06-2023, 09:57 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Buy a U rated VHS for your kids and be greeted with baby mice impaled on bloody thorns, lovely.

What's wrong with that? Big Grin

(11-06-2023, 09:57 AM)James2001 Wrote:  And I guess those Farthing Wood DVDs weren't aimed at kids anyway, but those of us who grew up with the show.

Plus I'm sure some of the content in there wouldn't be allowed on kids TV these days... suprised it was then really, and that the VHS releases still only got a U rating. Buy a U rated VHS for your kids and be greeted with baby mice impaled on bloody thorns, lovely.

Hasn't Watership Down been rated as U as well? Apparently it was re-rated last year and is now a PG. Even though its probably pushing the boundaries for a PG...

Seems surprising some of the stuff that was able to get U ratings in the past. Conversely though, it seems to be increasingly difficult to get an 18 rating these days, you can fill something with repeated f bombs and strong violence and quite often get away with a 15 now.

I remember reading how the MPAA in the US will barely ever give a G (equivalent of U) rating to live action films any more, no matter how mild the content. Wheres over here it's not particularly uncommon for live action films, even ones not aimed at kids, to be rated U.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • bkman1990, ethanjbrady, Ma76

(11-06-2023, 07:41 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Seems surprising some of the stuff that was able to get U ratings in the past. Conversely though, it seems to be increasingly difficult to get an 18 rating these days, you can fill something with repeated f bombs and strong violence and quite often get away with a 15 now.

I remember reading how the MPAA in the US will barely ever give a G (equivalent of U) rating to live action films any more, no matter how mild the content. Wheres over here it's not particularly uncommon for live action films, even ones not aimed at kids, to be rated U.

This topic is drifting pretty majorly away from Network at this point - but worth remembering that Animals of Farthing Wood was a children's programme, which aired on Children's' BBC for years. I can entirely see the rationale for a U rating. 

Attitudes change over the years, and not all in one direction either.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

I'm sorry to bump this thread and give people false hope that there is any news about Network being saved.

I was always in awe of Network's attention to detail and their creative decisions (such as including VT clocks from the master tapes) that appeal to pres fans despite barely meaning anything to anybody else. But I'm left raising an eyebrow at their Give Us a Clue release, which I felt the need to snap up before it starts to disappear.

Not only is it not entirely apparent that only the first six series' are included in the box set (you just assume by default with their big box sets that they've included everything they can get hold of) but they've made a decision to omit episodes that include certain celebrities. That's entirely understandable, considering that the celebrities in question would eventually be found guilty of sex offences, namely a certain Australian gentleman and a radio DJ who didn't take too kindly to being Gotcha'd.

But to my surprise, they've omitted episodes featuring Freddie Starr. Whilst we may never know the full truth behind what may or may not have happened involving him, Starr was never convicted of any wrongdoing in the eyes of the law. He did, however, go through a very public phase of accusations, as did Jim Davidson, who was also subsequently cleared. Why am I bringing up Jim Davidson? Because the episodes that he features in are in the box set! Am I missing something? Seems like complete and utter double standards.

Anyway, apologies for what is a rather pointless rant, but I have nowhere else suitable to get it off my chest... Anyway, I may as well say something constructive while I'm posting.

If you've been eyeing up any Network releases, grab them as soon as you can. It seems like an obvious piece of advice, but still. Give us a Clue is still readily available at a reasonable price as I type this, but I've witnessed a handful of releases I've had my eye on for a while start going out of stock everywhere and commanding ridiculous prices on eBay. Scope out some more obscure online stores that sell DVDs if you can, too.

Now you've bumped the thread, I'm going to leave this here - Chinnyvision on YouTube originally posted not long after Network went under:
www.youtube.com 

some interesting looking shows on that video.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Larry the Loafer

Their website has been updated with this message. Doesn't sound promising for any of us hoping someone would come and pick up the pieces.

Quote:Network Distributing Limited is no longer trading. Jeremy Karr and Jamie Taylor of Begbies Traynor were appointed as Liquidators of the Company on 9 June 2023. The Liquidators are in control of the Company’s affairs and are taking steps to realise the assets of Network Distributing Limited. Any enquiries or expressions of interest in the business and assets of Network should contact the Liquidators’ agent as below:

Neal Weekes
Director
Gordon Brothers
Email: nweekes@gordonbrothers.com
t +44 (0)207 647 5131
m +44 (0)7836 226670

(06-07-2023, 12:11 AM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Their website has been updated with this message. Doesn't sound promising for any of us hoping someone would come and pick up the pieces.

It's a shame. There aren't that many sources of vintage programming available at the best of times. ND was one of the more prominent ones.

Yeah, unfortunately liquidation is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for any company.

If it had fell into administration there was a chance it could have been salvaged - maybe a restructure, maybe part sale, maybe reorganisation of debts (which are what kills most businesses where they owe more than they are either making or actually have on hand), but since the date is June 9 and the company went on May 31, it happened quite quickly (within 10 days) suggests administration was a non-starter (or became implausible) and the only way out now was to commence liquidation.

Still a chance somebody could cherry pick the company's assets if they make a decent offer for the core offering Network had (the release of archive material that nobody else gave a crap about and all the admin to make it work), but not sure if anybody wants the mantle and even if they do could they make it work?

(06-07-2023, 10:32 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Yeah, unfortunately liquidation is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for any company.

If it had fell into administration there was a chance it could have been salvaged - maybe a restructure, maybe part sale, maybe reorganisation of debts (which are what kills most businesses where they owe more than they are either making or actually have on hand), but since the date is June 9 and the company went on May 31, it happened quite quickly (within 10 days) suggests administration was a non-starter (or became implausible) and the only way out now was to commence liquidation.

Still a chance somebody could cherry pick the company's assets if they make a decent offer for the core offering Network had (the release of archive material that nobody else gave a crap about and all the admin to make it work), but not sure if anybody wants the mantle and even if they do could they make it work?

There's not a great deal of difference to customers between 'company bought out of administration' and 'assets and brand bought out of liquidation' though. Not that I foresee there being a queue of suitors ready to continue what Network were doing in any way, sadly.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com