Network Distribution reportedly in liquidation

I know that so far as customers are concerned all it boils down to is"Network has gone bust and will I get the DVD I ordered or not". But there is a technical difference between administration and liquidation - one's a potential way back, the other is almost certainly no way back, though there are no doubt probably exceptions.

Mind you that being said, administration doesn't guarantee anything either. We saw it when Sit-Up went bust a decade or so ago. They fell into administration and somebody bought all the intellectual property of that company with a view to relaunching Bid at least. Aside from a few cryptic tweets, it never happened.

(06-07-2023, 11:12 AM)WillPS Wrote:  There's not a great deal of difference to customers between 'company bought out of administration' and 'assets and brand bought out of liquidation' though. Not that I foresee there being a queue of suitors ready to continue what Network were doing in any way, sadly.

What Network did was pretty niche and niche isn't popular nowadays. A sad loss indeed.

I have been going around a few HMVs picking up what I always wanted but never got. Found 95% of it. The rest I may need to wait until they show up on EBay because I doubt they will be re-released. It’s sad the company closed down, and it happened very fast which I find surprising. I guess it’s just the market changing but I will always myself be a fan of physical media. My cupboards will continue to be stocked!

HMV are surprisingly well stocked at the moment, but there are already quite a few titles popping up on eBay for well in excess of their usual RRP.

I paid over the odds for the Sweeney series one blu ray a few years back. For some reason they only had a limited run of it. God knows what it would go for now!

(06-08-2023, 11:09 AM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  I paid over the odds for the Sweeney series one blu ray a few years back. For some reason they only had a limited run of it. God knows what it would go for now!

£140-180 according to eBay!

It’s a shame like when forces tv closed there’s no way for these archive programmes to have another play out.

(07-08-2023, 04:34 PM)harshy Wrote:  It’s a shame like when forces tv closed there’s no way for these archive programmes to have another play out.

There's nothing to stop them being played out if somebody really wanted to, its just that the demand isn't there to make it commercially viable. Its been proved many times that archive material only works in certain genres (and even then only in certain specific titles/examples of that genre), and archive light entertainment isn't one of those genres...

I mean shows like Gardening Time produced by Central does the physical types actually exist because that’s a show that would never see the light of day dusting away in an archive in Leeds, I’d love to work there I reckon I’d be in my element :-)

Well let's be frank here, gardening isn't exactly a quick change industry, the basic principles are the same now as they were a century ago - if you have a plant you need to feed it, give it water, cut the dead bits off and maybe prune it on occasion - in a nutshell.

The internet has sort of replaced that fountain of knowledge to an extent, though I note Gardener's World seems to have lasted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • London Lite