"Local TV" licences to be renewed through to 2034

(06-03-2024, 06:18 PM)all new phil Wrote:  It’s unlikely to happen, but I’d love to see Sky take them on. They’ve trialled it previously so it’s clearly something they’ve considered once upon a time. It’s not like they don’t have the content to fill out the schedule.

There was a Sky pilot in Tyne and Wear around a decade ago but I think it was more of an online operation - with some video newsgathering - rather than a linear channel per se.

It lasted less than two years and closed with little notice.

Yes, was around the same time as ITV Local which probably came a few years too early if anything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • lookoutwales

(06-03-2024, 06:18 PM)all new phil Wrote:  It’s unlikely to happen, but I’d love to see Sky take them on. They’ve trialled it previously so it’s clearly something they’ve considered once upon a time. It’s not like they don’t have the content to fill out the schedule.
It'll never happen, there's just no point in them doing it.

Things were very different when they trialled it before. Sky has different owners and different priorities now. Going for broadcast licenses when they're transitioning onto IP delivery is a backward step.

They've no benefit in being able to sell local advertising, they already do that on their main platforms

(07-03-2024, 01:48 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes, was around the same time as ITV Local which probably came a few years too early if anything.
The BBC tried it too, although that didn't continue because of competition concerns rather than it failing.
youtu.be 

Problem is that all the attempts at doing local tv were either right time for the content, but wrong time for the technology.... and now we have got the platforms and tech to do it, the audience just isn't there. Also it's easier than ever to produce decent video content, but it's also easier to show it to the world

Imagine if the well produced local TV services of the 90s had the sort of carriage there is available now. Instead they were all hidden away on cable

I suspect that would have ultimately used less licence fee money than what was diverted for the local TV network, and been more watched too.

This thread popping up, just makes me think every time of the absolutely insane filler that Sheffield Live! used at their launch, featuring the sounds of a torture chamber over a shot taken inside an abandoned shop, or microphones dangling from the ceiling.

web.archive.org 

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 3 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • Brekkie, London Lite, RhysJR

Bye bye to the Talk branding on 'Local TV' - at least online and on their socials, anyway.

uklocal.tv 

No news on what their next move is, but worth noting that in all this time, the local blocks on these channels never actually adopted the Talk branding on air.

Was just about to post the same thing. It's like the American affiliation system - stations taking on and then removing network branding.

Wonder what they're planning on showing, I think the CBS channel that used to supply them with a constant diet of Judge Judy have gone too now haven't they?

(12-04-2024, 05:51 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Wonder what they're planning on showing, I think the CBS channel that used to supply them with a constant diet of Judge Judy have gone too now haven't they?
It was rebranded a few months ago to True Crime, though it’s still pretty much the Judge Judy channel.

(12-04-2024, 06:00 PM)TVFan Wrote:  It was rebranded a few months ago to True Crime, though it’s still pretty much the Judge Judy channel.

Between True Crime and True Crime Xtra, it's still possible to watch Judge Judy all day.

I guess if Talk continues in an online format and is just a simulcast of the radio station it could potentially remain simulcast on the local channels, at least until any deal expires.