What makes a revival?

(09-06-2023, 12:19 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Neither of those were cancelled, didn't they just skip a year due to COVID?

BGT was due to Covid and SNT didn't air as Ant Mcpartlin took time off after being in rehab.

I feel a revival is a show that had an ending celebrated on screen or was announced in the press but then came back a few years later.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • Si-Co

(09-06-2023, 11:46 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I do feel we've had this conversation before so is this thread a revival?

Isn't it only a revival if the opening post is basically a brief 'there was a thread about this on The Blue Place/The Purple Place so I've decided to open one again here', but then with nothing new actually added and leaving it to everyone else to do the debate? This one actually opened up with an entire interesting set of debate points instead! Big Grin

It is an interesting one though. To me, it feels as though it depends on whether the 'last' of a show went out on a big bang about being the end of a show, or if it didn't whether it was pre-2000, where presumably the smaller number of channels and less thinly spread audience makes shows from then bigger and better remembered events that happened a long time ago. These days it seems it's not uncommon for shows to quietly stop production for several years, but never be officially classed as cancelled so it can quietly reappear at any time without being considered a revival/reboot etc (and presumably lessens the chance of people being able to suggest a U-Turn has been made out of desperation).

TV Whirl - Since 2001

* What is a revival: A programmes that has come back that either carry's one or has some connection in context the pervious incantation

* What is a Reboot: A complete overhaul where everything is ripped up and is stripped back to the bare bones of the basic concept.

I've never been in favour of reruns or reimaginings of programmes (or movies for that matter). If a programme struck a chord in you and left you with "warm and fuzzy memories" a "restart" could sully those feelings. One example was the "reboot"of "Yes Prime Minister" that GOLD showed some 10-11 years ago which in all honesty was cr*p.

I feel that the new series of "The Full Monty" will be the same (although I live in hope...)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • Milkshake

Don't see how The Full Monty could get any worse although me not being the target audience for that sort of thing makes a difference I suppose.

A fair point!

I'm almost loathe to make things even more complicated but am interested in the responses (I work in langauge rehabilitation so semantics interest me) .....would the Netflix House Of Cards be a reboot, a remaining or a remake of rhe BBC version?

British show redone by the Americans? Remake.

(10-06-2023, 06:40 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  British show redone by the Americans? Remake.
You could argue it could qualify as either.

(09-06-2023, 10:01 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  I've never been in favour of reruns or reimaginings of programmes (or movies for that matter).

What about Doctor Who? Yes, it’s a continuation in some regard but could easily have been a reboot and been much the same programme we had in season 1. 

Somethings work a second time other things don’t, but I don’t see why people would be against reusing a good idea in all circumstances.

(10-06-2023, 06:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  You could argue it could qualify as either.

What about Doctor Who? Yes, it’s a continuation in some regard but could easily have been a reboot and been much the same programme we had in season 1. 

Somethings work a second time other things don’t, but I don’t see why people would be against reusing a good idea in all circumstances.

It's just a personal view. If others wish to reuse an idea that's their choice.