‘ITV/STV’ joint branding

(07-07-2023, 02:08 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is the celeb era when ITV1 launched the only time STV/Grampian used an ITV package?
I'm sure STV created their own 'celeb' idents in 2002 with blue backgrounds. I don't think they used the same as ITV1, but the music and general theme was the same.

(07-07-2023, 05:08 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I'm sure STV created their own 'celeb' idents in 2002 with blue backgrounds. I don't think they used the same as ITV1, but the music and general theme was the same.

They had rebranded versions of the main ITV1 ones too, like UTV.

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • Brekkie

(07-07-2023, 05:08 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I'm sure STV created their own 'celeb' idents in 2002 with blue backgrounds. I don't think they used the same as ITV1, but the music and general theme was the same.

It was the other way about. They did use the ITV creations but used their own music. They did indeed add in idents involving their own celebrities though. These were used exclusively in the latter years of the package before the merger of Scottish and Grampian.

In 2004 STV even took the Sky/cloud ident but mainly for Lunchtime news. In Jan 2006 there dropped the non local idents and used only ever decreasing number of local made one since half the STV stars had left or been made redundant.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • LondonViewer, Rexogamer, Stuart, Superman1986, TVFan

Although ITV had dropped those idents in Feb 2004 in favour of the new cubed logo, which isn't something they could have so easily amended.

(08-07-2023, 06:54 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Although ITV had dropped those idents in Feb 2004 in favour of the new cubed logo, which isn't something they could have so easily amended.
They were clearly pieved that the addition of the  "1" at the end of the station name was failing to penetrate the collective consciousness of the 99% of "ordinary viewers" (i.e. as opposed to pres geeks like us) when they decided to introduce the cube logo.

It was rather a case of: "Sorry, what numeral is that? I can't quite see. It is, after all, very small". (See also the "Channel 3 North East" era of Tyne Tees Television, for a similarly subtly-sized digit).

(09-07-2023, 10:37 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  They were clearly pieved that the addition of the  "1" at the end of the station name was failing to penetrate the collective consciousness of the 99% of "ordinary viewers" (i.e. as opposed to pres geeks like us) when they decided to introduce the cube logo.

It was rather a case of: "Sorry, what numeral is that? I can't quite see. It is, after all, very small". (See also the "Channel 3 North East" era of Tyne Tees Television, for a similarly subtly-sized digit).

Whereas the much loved 2s (and smokey globe 1) were famously tucked away, would you say?

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

(09-07-2023, 10:59 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Whereas the much loved 2s (and smokey globe 1) were famously tucked away, would you say?
I actually really liked the ITV cube idents with the 'big 1', as they were a welcome relief from:

[*] those dreadful celeb idents (which obviously someone came up with during a boozy lunch where they managed to buy everyone else enough drinks to go along with at the time)
[*]and also the later ones with just 4 cubes sliding into place.

The only problem with the later cube idents is that if you make a big thing about a numeral for your main channel, don't keep tinkering with it, making it smaller, then getting rid of it and then resurrecting it.

It smacks of the worst type of mangled marketing and brand planning.

youtu.be 

Source: YouTube

(07-07-2023, 05:51 PM)GMc Wrote:  They did indeed add in idents involving their own celebrities though. These were used exclusively in the latter years of the package before the merger of Scottish and Grampian.
I remember these idents. The issue was that the 'local celebrities' were just the people from North Tonight/Scotland Today.  It was always a bit baffling to see political editor Bernard Ponsonby sat in a chair staring at you before a Sunday night drama, or "that guy that reads the sport" grinning into the camera before Coronation Street.

If you didn't watch the local news, you'd have no idea who many of them were.

youtube.com 

Source: dragonarchive on YouTube

(11-07-2023, 03:08 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I actually really liked the ITV cube idents with the 'big 1', as they were a welcome relief </snip>
I thought these ITV1 idents were quite innovative at the time, especially the Now and Later version that would form up into the logo.

youtube.com 

Looking back though, it does seem a little stilted including the clips in the middle: "That's soap characters shouting at each other, tonight on ITV1!"

(Source: thisisfivefortvworld on YouTube)
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • Stuart

Those Now and Next menus didn't last long, but I did like the idea.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DJ Dave, Stuart