Wimbledon 2023

(15-07-2023, 06:15 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  Rather than opting for filler they have decided to play out a recording of the men’s wheelchair doubles final from earlier this evening.
And how wonderful that is for The BBC to be giving a minority sport such primetime viewing!
[-] The following 4 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • AJB39, Reith85, RhysJR, thePineapple

Worth noting that the other Slams have doubled their wheelchair draws (now a round of 16 in singles for example), which will be an inevitable change for Wimbledon next year. 

I think it is mainly weather related that there has been quite a bit of wheelchair action on Court No.1, so it would be interesting if there will be a more permanent addition to the main two courts schedule next year. The Saturday and Sunday morning slot on BBC Two has worked well in recent years though I'd say.

(15-07-2023, 05:40 PM)dvboy Wrote:  Looks like the BBC won't be needing the 19:15-20:00 window on BBC Two this evening. Imagine there will be some filler added before the 19:15 news on BBC One.

The 19.15 Wimbledon coverage on BBC 2 has been dropped and replaced with an episode of Natural World. It was never due to air in Northern Ireland due to more GAA coverage. They are showing an episode of Dad’s Army at 19.30.

A view into the Centre Court commentary box from Nick Mullins earlier this week. It certainly was not designed in the 21st century, but all part of the charm. You'd certainly sacrifice any comfort for the view.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AJB39, Brekkie, Stuart

I don't think anyone gets into commentary for comfort.

All the talk of AI this year and actually quite surprised that most the court cameras are manned - perhaps not the case on the outer courts but certainly is on Centre.

I feel a little guilty for moaning about him earlier now, but today was John Inverdale's final day of commentary at Wimbledon after 39 years of attendance for the BBC.

I think that is likely retirement for John now as I don't think he has any other regular roles left. Although his tennis TV commentary career wasn't the finest, he has been a familiar prescence across BBC Sport and elsewhere for all my sport watching life, most notably on rugby union of course. Despite the odd gaffe, he has always been a safe pair of hands and has lead many sporting events in a calm and informed manner.
His career has come to a bit of a limp end in my mind to be honest, with his roles as lead rugby presenter for the BBC, French Open host for ITV, and work across Radio 5 Live most notably at Cheltenham and The Open all coming to an end without much fanfare or tribute, in a space of a few short years. I imagine with him leaving many of those roles without said fanfare was exactly what John wants, which sums him up as a broadcaster for me: professional but never deliberately the centre of the action, letting the sport take centre stage.

twitter.com 
  • AJB39, News Engineer, UTVLifer

He didn't seem a natural fit at all for commentary initially but I've quite enjoyed his commentaries this year. I know "better than Andrew Castle" is hardly a benchmark, but he is.

One of my favourite sports broadcasters and thought he was excellent on ITV's French Open coverage over the decade, and pretty much whatever else he did too. I always thought it was a real shame the BBC didn't push him into a Lynam/Ryder role when Steve Ryder left for ITV and left the non-football presenting line up lacking when it came to a leading male, although 2012 didn't turn out to bad for him as his role as athletics presenter saw him anchoring in primetime for half of the games, plus I think he did the rowing too.

This is a wonderful podcast with John Inverdale, looking back at his career: podcasts.apple.com 

I'm somewhere interesting right now 👀

[-] The following 8 users Like James2001's post:
  • AJB39, Brekkie, dvboy, fanoftv, Johnnie, London Lite, RhysJR, thePineapple

BTS with Gigi Salmon on a day for Radio 5 Live

twitter.com 
  • Roger Darthwell, thePineapple, UTVLifer