Wimbledon 2023

(16-07-2023, 07:26 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes - rushed off air far too quickly. Should have got the extra half hour with Countryfile at 8pm but at the very least had the short theme play over the final scenes. Really this moment now with the balcony presentation should be the climax of the coverage.

I know to that Wimbledon handle the on court interviews but usually the BBC talent do the singles final, though practically it actually works for Clare to pick that up after the presentation.

Also can't recall his name but the presenter of the Wheelchair Finals was very good as well. Actually to be fair I can't fault any of the presenters, but Andrew Castle is very much the weakest link when it comes to commentary.

I've never found Andrew Castle particularly charismatic even when he did GMTV in the 2000s.

Given they're still analysing the men's singles final, and showing Carlos Alcaraz parading around the grounds with the trophy on BBC Two (as I type at 7:39), it would have made more sense to remain on BBC One until 7:35 / 7:40pm for the News, followed by Countryfile at 8pm, thereby dropping the Antiques Roadshow repeat altogether.

Not that "BBC" and "sense" belong very much in the same sentence these days.
[-] The following 4 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AJB39, Brekkie, Rolling News, Stuart

Piece to camera (I presume for Today at Wimbledon) straight after coming off air and Clare happy to pose for photos

[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • AJB39, paul_hadley, RhysJR, UTVLifer

(16-07-2023, 07:55 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Piece to camera (I presume for Today at Wimbledon) straight after coming off air and Clare happy to pose for photos

But do you have a picture with Clare?

I was too shy to ask.. .

(16-07-2023, 07:31 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Thanks James2001.  Did BBC not have a proper studio this year?

Being perched on a balcony in the media centre looks rather bad. Confused

Believe it or not, the official radio RSL of the Championships “The Wimbledon Radio Channel” often broadcast from a picnic table on the roof of the Broadcast Centre (they also do some broadcasting from the show court commentary boxes)

[Image: 8A65675D-B59B-4CAB-9158-FD9DAE4C51FE.jpeg]

I believe the current radio setup is run by IMG. 

From 1992 to 2011, it was an in-house service called Radio Wimbledon, owned by the AELTC but featuring some IRN/BBC reporters. During this time they broadcast from portakabins near to Court 18 before moving to a purpose built studio in the back of Centre Court in the early 2000s.
[-] The following 2 users Like James Vertigan's post:
  • AJB39, UTVLifer

Surely this must be the latest play on a Sunday has ever gone on?

Interestingly watching on the big screen on the hill, there was no commentary at first, then it suddenly kicked in part way through the third set. I think world feed rather than BBC commentary.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • AJB39, UTVLifer

And so that's that for another year. A big thank you to all the team in front of and behind the camera for the fortnight of fantastic and really exstensive coverage.
[-] The following 5 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AJB39, fanoftv, Reith85, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Lovely final little bit from Clare in the studio before the big long montage of credits to Your Song
[-] The following 2 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • Reith85, RhysJR

Nice quick nod to John Inverdale’s final commentary in the montage as well which was a nice touch.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • RhysJR, UTVLifer