Will we regret the demise of linear TV channels ?

I don't think linear is exactly dead, I just think it's evolving: Paramount+ in America have actually adopted similar services to their counterpart, Pluto TV, which is what they call "Live Channels". If you like Star Trek, there's a whole dedicated channel of it on there. Though I doubt UK viewers will ever get a chance to see these Live Channels, as I assume it is US only at the moment.

Plus, ITVX has obviously made it clear they want to make FAST channels on their service, which'll likely mean we'll see channels curated from a plethora of ITV's main archive and/or programming output. If you want to watch Chall- sorry, I mean Chase 24/7, ITVX will be that service for you I'm imagining.

To say that linear television (in the conventional sense) is dying is clearly a statement that doesn't really make sense. Companies know people will be fond of a curated schedule, so have adapted their services or even invented ones for this purpose entirely. It's an option, not a requirement. Yes, I feel that linear television (offline) will definitely go within the future, as internet becomes more prevalent and more easily accessible, even in a slump town, but linear television (online) is only just growing, meeting consumer needs and ease of access.

Messages In This Thread