BBC axes extra Red Button service

After two decades, the BBC will no longer provide extra Wimbledon Red Button feeds via satellite. Bonus coverage will be available via the iPlayer instead.

Traditionally, the BBC offered up to six temporary pop-up channels for the summer, offering extra coverage from the grass courts of SW19. Prior to the pandemic, these channels also offered coverage from Glastonbury.

The online shift means that satellite viewers using older receivers will find they can’t access the same range of extra Wimbledon feeds as before. On newer receivers, the extra coverage will be delivered via the internet.

rxtvinfo.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Dadeki's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Ma76

No surprise - been the case on Freeview a couple of years now.

Increasingly too things which would have been on the red button aren't anymore too, even regardless of scheduling clashes. None of the additional Glastonbury coverage will be on the linear channel and none of Big Weekend was a couple of weeks back - though might be a compliance issue as I think iPlayer streams, even via the red button, aren't as strictly regulated in regards to language etc.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • ethanjbrady, interestednovice, Jeff, Ma76

Red Button /Iplayer Compliance is the same as for programmes
"A compliance form is required for all pre-recorded programmes on BBC Red Button (also referred to as BBCi). Live programming should be dealt with under the Editorial Policy Live Compliance Guidelines (as above) and subsequent repeats of such programming also as above.

Red Button Editorial should be alerted to any content requiring guidance labelling."
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like Technologist's post:
  • Brekkie, Ma76

I find this to be disappointing, but not surprising, considering the BBC only provided BBC RB 1 in HD and the rest in SD. Since the BBC no longer broadcasts content in SD, they probably don't have the bandwidth or money to afford enabling the additional channels.

I do think the BBC needs to consider having two RB channels, and not just one. But I doubt they will consider it, since there's probably no impetus to do that.
[-] The following 2 users Like SuperSajuuk's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76

(23-06-2023, 09:12 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  I find this to be disappointing, but not surprising, considering the BBC only provided BBC RB 1 in HD and the rest in SD. Since the BBC no longer broadcasts content in SD, they probably don't have the bandwidth or money to afford enabling the additional channels.

I do think the BBC needs to consider having two RB channels, and not just one. But I doubt they will consider it, since there's probably no impetus to do that.

Why bother when they can pretty much have as many as they want via iPlayer?

(23-06-2023, 09:33 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Why bother when they can pretty much have as many as they want via iPlayer?

For me, its about the fact that not everyone has access to a meaningful internet connection to use iPlayer. There are still significant portions of the country who either don't have access to a fibre broadband connection [whether its the fibre to cabinet, or fibre to the home] because of their location being so rural that most ISP's consider its not economically feasible to do, or because they don't think they need that kind of internet speed due to not having a large family worth the expense for something they won't actively use. Of course, that argument is being sequentially reduced over time, but the BBC should serve "everyone" and not everyone has the capacity to use the iPlayer for all sorts of reasons.

Oh, and lest not forget: iPlayer still has the stupid 90 second delay on anything "live", so if a match is won and it gets an alert on your phone/tablet, you'll know about it before it actually happens. I really don't know why the BBC has that delay for, everyone else can get it down to 10-15 seconds, but 90 seconds in todays' age is just an unacceptable delay between live TV and live streaming.
[-] The following 5 users Like SuperSajuuk's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, ethanjbrady, Former Member 406

Any modern form of Internet connection (ADSL2+, VDSL, GFAST, FTTP, Cable, satellite, 4G/LTE and 5G) should do these days unless your still using ADSL, dial up/ISDN. Netflix can do 1080p at 2Mb/s due to improvements to encoding and using adaptive bitrates. I understand iPlayer can do this too. At lower speeds, you will get an inferior PQ to people watching higher bitrates, but its not the all or nothing it used to be.

The universal service obligation (USO) of broadband is 10mbps, if you don't currently get this then you should have options. www.ispreview.co.uk 

Most people don't realise relying on years old routers, will not get them the best speed or performance, there have been a number of new WIFI standards since even 10 years ago - 4 since 2008! Stop using insanely long cables (ethernet is fine - works upto 100m, but not the cable that connects to your phone socket). If your equipment is older than 4 years, it should be replaced, use any new provider/ contract renewal wisely. WEEE waste can be recycled through your local dump.

For people who still rely on copper phone lines, Some people have it on their extension wiring which is wrong. it should be at the master socket and this should be filtered. even worse is when the faceplate is filtered and they still have the router plugged into extension wiring! Turning your modem/router or both off at night is also ruining the connection as the automated systems Openreach use will think there is a fault on the line and reduce speeds in order to compensate, leaving it on will ensure their systems keep you at the best possible speed (this will take days to self-correct but maybe quicker if your provider or Openreach can reset it). if you are on legacy technologies like ADSL2+ (unto 24mb/s) ask your provider if you can be migrated to a FTTC service (comparison sites might help), this is likely to be faster and cheaper!

Ideally the router should be positioned as close to the centre of your building as possible (it radiates out like a sphere - the router is the core of the sphere), this should not be hidden behind furniture or near the kitchen. If you have a large house and the signal is poor, then properly configured repeaters (e.g. plume) should be deployed to aid coverage. Using ancient devices will slow down WIFI (e.g. 80211B/G) - turn these off if you can! Also, if you can select 5GHz (or even 6GHz) this will be faster than the standard one of 2.4GHz - yes this gives more coverage but it's also a very congested frequency limited to a small number of channels. If you do go into the settings and find a channel width option, keep this to 20/40MHz and don't be tempted to change this to 80/160 or higher, these will ruin your neighbours connections unless you happen to live alone in the middle of nowhere!

The issues might not even be with you in-home setup at all, it could be issues in the access network which Openreach (or virgin or ALTNETS) would need to be involved. Unfortunately this will mean a call to your provider to initiate such a thing, keep pressing if they insist their checks are OK.
[-] The following 2 users Like cable's post:
  • Ma76, SuperSajuuk

(23-06-2023, 10:32 PM)cable Wrote:  Any modern form of Internet connection (ADSL2+, VDSL, GFAST, FTTP, Cable, satellite, 4G/LTE and 5G) should do these days unless your still using ADSL, dial up/ISDN. Netflix can do 1080p at 2Mb/s due to improvements at encoding at adaptive bitrates and I understand iPlayer can do this too. yes at lower speeds, you will get an inferior PQ to people watching higher bitrates, but its not the all or nothing it used to be.

The USO of broadband is 10mbps, if you don't currently get this then you should have options. www.ispreview.co.uk 

Most people don't realise relying on years old routers, will not get them the best speed or performance, there have been a number of new WIFI standards since even 10 years ago - 4 since 2008! Using insanely long cables (ethernet is fine - works upto 100m, but not the cable that connects to your phone socket). If your equipment is olde than 4 years, it should be replaced, use any new provider/ contract renewal wisely. WEEE waste can be recycled through your local dump.

For people who still rely on copper phone lines, Some people have it on their extension wiring which is wrong. it should be at the master socket and this should be filtered. even worse is when the faceplate is filtered and they still have the router plugged into extension wiring! Turning your modem/router or both off at night is also ruining the connection as the automated systems Openreach use will think there is a fault on the line and reduce speeds in order to compensate, leaving it on will ensure their systems keep you at the best possible speed.

Ideally the router should be positioned as close to the centre of your building as possible, this should not be hidden behind furniture or near the kitchen. If you have a large house and the signal is poor, then properly configured repeaters (e.g. plume) should be deployed to aid coverage.

The issues might not even be with you in-home setup at all, it could be issues in the access network which Openreach (or virgin or ALTNETS) would need to be involved. Unfortunately this will mean a call to your provider to initiate such a thing, keep pressing if they insist their checks are OK.

Without wanting to take this too far off-topic [although I suppose this topic does have lots of sub-topics lol], a lot of people probably don't do a lot of troubleshooting to make sure things work optimally: I've done the best I can in my house, but I still get pockets of terrible service, due primarily to powerline adapters. In the current age, we're all being told to use them to get ethernet access wherever we need it, which are hit and miss due to so many factors: if you just happen to be in a house with poor internal wiring or strong insulating walls, you could end up with a poorer connection than you're paying for, but ISP's won't help customers who have such problems.

It doesn't help that the heatwaves we're experiencing now in the UK help to degrade their effectiveness: two weeks ago, my speed dragged itself down to a crawl because of the humidity and the rising heat, which turned my normally stable 20-25mbps download speed [where i pay for 80mbps] into like 5-mbps. When a fibre connection [only fttc, doesn't impact fttp that much] is reduced to such low numbers, the ping and latency increase to largely unusable levels.

Factor into that, the older generation who are the kind of users that these changes are negatively impacting, as they are very unlikely to faff around using iPlayer or connected TV's or the fuss of "its not working properly", they just want a stable tv service over satellite. My gran in particular is at an age where a change like this would probably make her not watch tennis at all (although she is not a sports watcher, for the purposes of this, assume hypothetically that she is).

For me though, I'll find some way to adapt to the changes, I just fear for those who can't adapt or don't see a need to adapt. It was just more convenient to have two satellite STB's: one on Freesat tuned to BBC Two or RB 1, and Sky Q running any of the additional RB 2-6 feeds. Won't be doing that this year and will have to use one of my Smart TV's over wifi [which is very inconsistent and just likes to stop receiving a wifi signal entirely for no reason] and hope the picture quality is watchable without impacting my home network as I work from home pretty much all the time at the moment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SuperSajuuk's post:
  • Ma76

(23-06-2023, 09:41 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  For me, its about the fact that not everyone has access to a meaningful internet connection to use iPlayer. There are still significant portions of the country who either don't have access to a fibre broadband connection [whether its the fibre to cabinet, or fibre to the home] because of their location being so rural that most ISP's consider its not economically feasible to do, or because they don't think they need that kind of internet speed due to not having a large family worth the expense for something they won't actively use.

If you read the latest connected nations update
www.ofcom.org.uk 

You will see that 97% of homes can get at least 30 Mbit/sec
Only 68k Homes cannot get 10 M by wired FWA or mobile means
(435k homes 1.4% don’t have access to wired greater than 10M )

But as the emitted service have typical coverage of 98% DTT PSB , 95% DSAT , 93% DTT com
It looks that broadband is at least good
Currently gigabit is available for close on three quarters
and a full fibre FTTP to a half UK homes …
[-] The following 3 users Like Technologist's post:
  • London Lite, Ma76, SuperSajuuk

(23-06-2023, 11:00 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:   In the current age, we're all being told to use them to get ethernet access wherever we need it, which are hit and miss due to so many factors: if you just happen to be in a house with poor internal wiring or strong insulating walls, you could end up with a poorer connection than you're paying for, but ISP's won't help customers who have such problems.

They're not perfect, as 2 & 3 under cons states - www.hns-berks.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • Ma76